Reeves inspires Heath to win double

March 17, 2009

Southgate Harmen vs FC Heath B 1-2/1-2

Playing in sunshine for the first time in what has seemed an eternity, FC Heath took all the points and all the plaudits in a fiercely contested double header at Ashmole school.

There have been too many doubters of the Mint Greens in recent times by those not seen the time and effort put in by the players and joint gaffers, Raymond 'Ramos' Bloom and Ben Kaye.

Although performances in recent weeks have been a vast improvement on those earlier in the season, a spark was required to help a newly assembled squad find the confidence to turn good performances in to wins. That spark was provided by new signing Sam Reeves who played with confidence little seen in second division football.

In the first game, Heath took the lead after a great finish from Reeves whose touch and extra bit of class was proving a constant problem to the Harmen defenders.

Heath continued to dominate the play and were unfortunate to concede when Harmen equalised after a curling free kick evaded the outstretched left arm of Bloom in the Heath goal.

The second half was a scrappy affair and the game was settled by the imperious James Abrams. After some good build up play Abrams found himself in on goal and after rounding the Harmen keeper, slotted the ball into an empty net.

Abrams together with Yossi Goldberg provided Heath captain Oliver Joseph with the opportunity of going into battle with two brother-in-laws either side of him. All three were outstanding on the day and made sure the over-zealous play of the hosts was not going to intimidate Heath.

Heath’s defence marshalled by the commanding Jamie Beale held firm and the game ended 2-1.

Match Two

The second game will not go down as a classic but the opening goal of the game will never be forgotten by all in attendance. Heath centre back Ed Weisz prepared to take a free kick from within his own half. After asking Joseph for permission to strike for goal as in his opinion the Harmen goalkeeper was too far off his line, Weisz proceeded to plant the ball in the back of the Harmen net from fully 50 yards or more. 1-0 and Heath had their tails up.

Further chances were created and the battle in midfield was heating up. Heath wingers Bermange and Benjamin and forward Josh Larn were causing Harmen all sorts of problems but could not find a breakthrough.

However, having had a quiet first half, Reeves began to dominate play once again. Having seen one glorious strike narrowly go wide of the far post he scored his second of the day after winning a race for the ball with Harmen's defenders and goalkeeper, scoring a similar goal to Abrams winner in the first.

2-0 Heath and despite a sloppy Harmen goal, Heath held on for their second win of the day and had six points to show for their efforts.

Heath now find themselves off the bottom of the table and in touching distance of the teams in front of them with several games in hand.

With the travelling Peters, Gutkin Coleman and Waiman to return, if Heath can take points from the next few fixtures then despite being written off as relegation certainties, a Houdini act greater than anything Harry Redknapp has ever managed will be firmly on the cards.

Heath captain Ollie Josephs said after the game: "We battled today and should have really won by wider margins. I'm proud off the boys and of their achievement. On a side not I would like to put all the nonsense being written about my future to bed. I am proud to be captain of this football club and bleed mint green. I will be with this football club for as long as they will have me."

Last updated: 11:23am, March 17 2009