Hawks defeat hard to Bear

By Yoni Weichselbaum, December 2, 2008

Hendon Hawks Bears travelled to Redbridge on Sunday for what proved to be an enthralling double-header.

The first game drew to a close with both teams failing to rattle the back of the net as the match ended 0-0.

The second game was a five-goal thriller as the East London overcame the Hawks.

The first game was enthralling with Hendon Hawks Bears playing really attractive football through plenty of passing and moving. However despite controlling the first five minutes they were unable to find the back of the net. Redbridge then launched an attack that opened up the game, as they mounted pressure on the Hawks goal. The Hawks team were resilient and defended well.

The Bears then took the game to Redbridge once more, only to rattle the woodwork.

The second half continued where the first half left off with the Bears and Redbridge evenly matched. The Hawks were shooting down hill in the second half with their attacking strength dominating proceedings. George Aminoff rattled the post twice with long range strikes, whilst Joel Gottlieb managed to hit the underside of the bar after he latched onto a Jamie Rosen cross.

The Bears were also denied the chance of breaking the deadlock by some last ditch Redbridge defending as a Shmuli Miller strike was cleared off the line. Yaakov Judah also had a chance to put the Bears into the lead after he brought the ball up from the back. However, the Redbridge goalkeeper got his body behind the shot to keep the score level at 0-0.

Match 2: The Bears began the second match the stronger as a Jamie Rosen cross from the right was met by a Redbridge defender, who almost turned the ball into his own goal, although, Joel Gottlieb was on hand to poach the ball over the line for the games opener and the Hawks first of the day.

With the Hawks in the ascendency they continued to mount the pressure. RJC were not out of the game yet and showed this through some attacking football down the right, which produced a superb save from Yaakov Judah.

The last few moments of the half saw Redbridge launch a counter attack down the right after a Hawks corner fell to Ben Oldstein who ran the length of the pitch to put the ball passed the Hawks goalkeeper for an equaliser.

The second half then saw a Hawks fight back with more attacking football pressurising the Redbridge goal. George Aminoff continued to test the Redbridge goalkeeper. Jamie Rosen also had some chances to put the game beyond doubt but could only find the side netting.

Rosen was then brought down on the edge of the penalty area which saw the Bears awarded a free kick. George Aminoff stepped up to take the frree kick and struck a scorching free kick over the Redbridge wall and beyond the outstretched goalkeeper, to put the Bears back into the lead.

A controversial equaliser for Redbridge brought them back into the game as the referee awarded Redbridge a throw-on after a Hawks foul throw. This throw-on saw the ball launched into the penalty area where the ball was struck into the post only to rebound off the Hawks goalkeeper who was positioned on the goalline. The referee then awarded Redbridge a goal and Oldstein with a brace, which demoralised the Hawks players and drew Redbridge level.

Redbridge then capitalised as the Hawks' heads dropped, with Alfie Grant slotting the ball beyond the Hawks goalkeeper for a 3-2 win.

Last updated: 1:52pm, December 2 2008