Four out of four for Wingate & Finchley

By Danny Caro, August 26, 2008

Wingate & Finchley made it four wins from the opening four games of the season with a comfortable victory over Hillingdon Borough in the Ryman League Division One North.

Wingate & Finchley started off the brighter of the two teams and never looked back as they carved out plenty of chances in the opening half hour. Chris Chase worked some space well for himself before shooting low but his effort was well held by goalkeeper Matt Davis. Davis of course spent many years with Wingate & Finchley and was about to have a busy afternoon against his former club.

Centre-back Michael Sacks headed inches wide with a header from a long free kick, before on 20 minutes the deadlock was broken. A lovely flowing move set Marc Weatherstone down the right wing, he played the ball inside to Chris Chase who rolled the ball confidently into the left hand corner from 12 yards.

He scored his second just five minutes later having received a perfect through ball to the left side of the goal from Joe O'Brien, and with the angle against him he struck the inside of the post and the ball bounced kindly behind the line to give Wingate & Finchley a two goal cushion.

Anthony Limbrick came close to putting the match beyond doubt but his low drive was superbly blocked by Davis.

The second half started in explosive fashion as the third goal came only ten minutes in. Limbrick received a long ball on the left flank, and put in a beautiful bouncing cross which Joe O'Brien ran onto to tap home from six yards.

Chances kept flowing at regular intervals for the visitors. Marvin Samuel chipped the ball forwards to Chris Chase who was closing in on his hat-trick. Having created space he shot across goal but the ball struck the post and this time bounced safely away.

Hillingdon kept plugging away however and began to put Wingate under pressure. After a push in the back in the 77th minute the referee awarded a penalty which Jerry Lyons blasted into the top left corner.

With two minutes remaining Gavin King was called into action with a superb save from a Sam Worrell free kick that he tipped onto the post to save his side from a nervy end to the game.

Manager Michael Stone said: "I am very pleased with the players and the positive start to the campaign is reward for their hard work during pre-season training. To play four matches in nine days and come away with maximum points is a credit to the players, staff and all the hard work being put in on and off of the field. "We know that there is much to improve on and bigger challenges just around the corner but we can certainly take some confidence from this start and the speed at which this newly assembled squad have gelled together."

Wingate & Finchley: Gavin King, Marc Weatherstone (Ola Williams 74), Anthony Limbrick, Bobby Aisien, Michael Sacks, Ahmet Rifat, Time Lees, Marvin Samuel (Steve Velandia 88), Wayne Grant (Daniel Clarke 74), Chris Chase, Joe O'Brien. Subs: Kieran Street, Dean Williams.

Goals: Chris Chase 20, 25, Joe O'Brien 55

Last updated: 11:16am, August 26 2008