Chigwell pay penalty for spot-kick howlers

By Craig Silver, October 23, 2008
Heads up : Harmen’s Lloyd Becker rises above the Faithfold defence

Heads up : Harmen’s Lloyd Becker rises above the Faithfold defence

Chigwell Athletic A have been knocked out of the London Intermediate Cup second round after being beaten by Docklands FC 6-5 on penalties.

Adam Hakimi had given the Chigs the lead in the first half, but Sam McCarthy and Elliot Green missed in the dreaded penalty shoot-out.

In the JC MSFL, Redbridge Jewish Care caused the biggest shock of the day as they condemned Hendon United A to their second straight defeat.

Goals from Richie Caplan and new signing Craig Edwards could well end any title hopes for the Hammers.

The champions, Neasden A, took full advantage of Hendon's defeat as they extended their lead at the top to seven points.

Goals from former Wingate and Finchley's Daniel Stanton and Daniel Levenfiche saw them beat lowly Montana A at South Oxhey.

Two goals from Daryl Phillips and one from James Taylor, helped Faithfold crush Glenthorne A.

The defeat saw the East Londoners concede 13 goals in their past two games. Bafana Bafana got back to winning ways, as goals from Simon Lawrence, Jonny Kay and Dan Perkins saw them to a comfortable victory over the struggling Lions B In Division One, leaders South Manx suffered their first defeat of the season as they were beat 3-1 by long time rivals Oakwood.

Robert Bloch, Steven Berke and Robert Davidson scored for the Os, with Daniel Kent hitting back for the hosts.

Elsewhere, a Ben Sheldon brace plus strikes from Jonny Blain, Matt Sheldon and Mark Leader helped North London Raiders A clinch their first win of the season and dent Brady's promotion hopes.

Brady will have their chance for revenge as the teams meet again next week.

A hat-trick from Darren Saffer was the difference for Camden as they moved up to third, after a comfortable win over Brixton. Nothing could separate Neasden B or Faithfold B as they shared the points in a 2-2 draw.
Jason Cohen and Mark Meltzer scored for Neasden. Adam Phillips was among the scorers for the Greens.
Southgate Harmen skipper Jonathan Hirshler settled the points as they beat Faithfold C 1-0 to keep within touching distance of the leaders, in Division Two. Lions C stay two points clear though after a 2-1 win over FC Heath.

It was a good day all round for the Raiders sides as their Bs hammered Banta 4-0. Red Sea also remained in good form with an easy 3-0 win away to Harmen B.

Gideon Gold (2) plus one from Stefan Benfredj saw the Seacats home. Neasden C dropped two more points in the title race as Mark Simons levelled late in the second half after Rob Benson had opened the scoring for Fortune.

Richard Fogelman (2), Rafi Saul and Mark Martel were on the mark as South Manx B got their first win in Division Three, beating Catford 4-3. Mark Wagman and Mark Ratzker helped themselves to two goals each as Cricklewood beat Dynamo Hendon 4-0.

FC Team B recorded their first win in three games as a Mitch Young double and a Sheldon Conrich strike saw them beat rock-bottom Pure Orange Function Band 3-1.

A rampant Hendon United C hammered Montana B 7-0, an Adam Hersh hat-trick helping the rout. Richard Salmon (2), Philip Braham and an own goal helped FC Team A win the top of the table clash as they beat L'Equipe 4-2. Jason Miller and Mark Singer scored for the home side.

Finally, in Division Four, East London Knights went to the top as they hit four against Real Life. Woodford Wanderers kept in touch with the Knights after goals from Mitch Hahn, Elliott Winner and an own goal helped them beat FC Marylebone.

A Chaim Gothold hat-trick helped Hendon D claim one of the shock results of the day by ending Norstar's 100 per cent winning start to the season.

Pinner and Team JLGB remain in the wrong half of the table as they drew 2-2. UJIA got their first win on the board as they beat Glenthorne United B 2-0.

Last updated: 10:47am, October 23 2008