Peter Morrison Trophy final postponed

By Danny Caro, May 1, 2012

This season's Peter Morrison Trophy final was postponed due to torrential rain that left the pitch at the Harry Abrahams Stadium at Wingate & Finchley FC unplayable.

Referee Warwick Blake and Maccabi GB National Football committee chairman Laurence Thorne were pitchside around 8.30am - two hours before kick-off - for the pitch inspection.

The surface was passed fit but continuous rain forced Blake to reverse his original decision and call the match off.

Commenting on the decision, Hendon manager David Garbacz told JC Sport: "I do not have any qualms at all. Clearly it was a disappointment to all with the anticipation being so great, but the pitch was not in any way playable. The ball was not rolling more than five or six yards and it could genuinely have been dangerous. The referee had absolutely no option.

"Motti Colman was obviously even more gutted than the rest of the squad - having flown back from Israel to play - but he took it OK and realised it was just one of those things.

"I can understand Oakwood being upset as they presumably had family and friends coming over from Manchester, but it was nobody’s fault except the crazy English weather.

The JC understands that Oakwood defender Louis Basger had also travelled from Switzerland to play.

Oakwood joint-manager Ric Blank told JC Sport: "We were incredibly disappointed the game was postponed on Sunday. We had people from all over the country coming to London for the game.

"Hendon had flown players in especially to help them win their treble. I thought the game could have gone ahead later in the day - but it wasn't my decision.

"Ultimately a combination of the ref and the Morrison committee made the call which we have to respect.

"The most important thing is that we have a new date in the diary and we put all our energy into focusing on that. What's done is done - we are already looking forward to Sunday."

Morrison organiser Laurence Thorne commented: "I can understand the closure of Wingate and Finchley and the delay of the Morrison, but I wasn't too impressed at the attitude of both sets of players, although I could understand their frustration."

The final has been rearranged for May 6.

The delay has given Hendon's Ben Kon the chance to rest an ankle injury that made him doubtful. He was due to see his physio on Tuesday morning.

Last updated: 12:18pm, May 1 2012