Injury mars Leeds match

By James Masters, September 26, 2011

Ian Selwyn admits his Leeds Maccabi players were left in shock after witnessing an opposition player suffer a horrific broken leg during last week’s draw with West Hunslet.

Oshri Amar was involved in a collision with a Hunslet player, who was left writhing in agony after a 50-50 challenge.

The incident, which occurred after just five minutes, forced the referee to delay the game for over an hour as both sets of players waited for the ambulance to arrive.

And Selwyn says the nature of the injury left those in attendance wondering whether the game should even continue.

“It was awful to see and the boys were visibly shaken up by it,” he said.

“There were two players there who went for the ball and were both very committed and there was no question of any blame being cast.

“It was just really sad and it made me wonder if we should carry on with the game because it was such a horrible moment.

“But we were there and ready and it’s important to get on with the game and we really wanted to get back on form.

“Both teams were really nervous after that and you could see the effect it had on the players.”

With the game shortened to 35 minutes a half, it was West Hunslet who took the lead when a long-range effort sailed over the head of Leeds keeper Mark Miller.

Dave Woolman grabbed an equaliser before the break after latching onto a quickly taken free-kick and rounding the goalkeeper.

With the teams level at the break, Leeds burst out of the traps as they looked to claim all three points.

But they were dealt a blow when Elliot Jackson was given his marching orders after receiving two yellow cards.

That failed to knock Leeds out of their stride though and both Steven Berke and Mark Korn hit the woodwork as Selwyn’s side piled on the pressure.

Richard Berke and the in-form Woolman were both denied by spectacular saves in second-half as Maccabi failed to find what would have been a deserved winner.

“It was the same as last week against Wykebeck when we had lots of chances and just couldn’t score but those goals will go in eventually,” added Selwyn.

“But I’m happy with a point because it was a difficult game after what happened with their player getting injured and Elliot getting sent off.

“Even with 10 men we should have still won the game but hopefully we can get back to ways next week.”

Maccabi face AFC Waggon in the second round of the Leeds and District Sunday Cup this weekend.

Last updated: 1:13pm, September 26 2011