BECC keep alive promotion hopes

August 30, 2011

Belmont & Edgware 1st maintained promotion hopes with a nail-biting seven-run victory over Haryom in the Middlesex Sunday League Division Two.

After losing the toss, BECC openers Goodman and Abrahams started positively, with the pair finding some early form and accelerating the score to 30 until Abrahams fell to the opening bowler.

Jonny Feigenbaum joined Goodman and continued to press on but both soon fell victim to Haryom's impressive young opener.

With the score at 38-3 and the wicket playing like a minefield, Evans and Taylor attempted to steady the innings and restore the solid batting seen early on.

However, Evans was caught shortly after, with Addlestone departing quickly as well. This brought captain Warren Averbuch to the crease with the score at a precarious 55-5 after 13 overs with Averbuch questioning how the batting line-up had found themselves in a similar position for the second week running.

Together with Taylor, Averbuch started to lay the foundations for a long lasting partnership, until Taylor was run out thanks to an excellent piece of fielding and a direct hit.

Richie Wienburg joined Averbuch and they combined well to hit some glorious boundaries as well as a few quick singles in order to keep the scoreboard ticking. They added 54 runs and moved the score on to 117-6 before Averbuch was bowled for 15.

Wienberg fell soon after for an excellent and well deserved 28 and was replaced by Nick McLeod. McLeod and Jacobs battled well, with the pair pushing the score on to 148.

BECC recovered well after the early collapse, setting Haryom a target which still looked competitive on a very slow wicket at Parmiters.

After tea, BECC set about defending the set target. After a long discussion with Jonny Evans in relation to the pace of the pitch, Averbuch decided to open the bowling with Goodman (8-0-28-1) and Neil Myeroff (8-1-20-4). The decision paid dividends with Myeroff picking up two wickets in his first over.

With the opposition at 8-2, the pair pressed on and continued to mount pressure upon the new batsmen. Haryom steadied their innings until Goodman removed the remaining opener. Myeroff was replaced by Weinberg (8-2-18-0), while Goodman bowled the remainder of his spell and was replaced by Averbuch (8-0-27-1).

Haryom, who have already secured promotion, pressed on with their captain leading the charge with a solid middle order partnership. They had moved on to 78-3 until Averbuch struck to remove their captain and break the partnership.

Haryom were now on the back foot and BECC were now even hungrier for victory. Averbuch and Wienburg were replaced by Evans (6.5-0-32-3) and Taylor (2-0-15-0).

With rain only moments away, and the ground being lit up like the Oval during a day night fixture, Evans struck, removing one of Haryom's danger men.

The atmosphere was tense, with Haryom requiring 32 runs from five overs with four wickets remaining. Averbuch once again called upon his ever reliable attack option (Like Ponting to Warne)... the experienced and ever reliable Myeroff, to inject venom into the attack. And did he disappoint? Definitely not.

Myeroff broke the partnership that had been developing and soon after picked up the incoming batman’s wicket, knocking back his middle stump. Myeroff had changed the game again with Haryom now requiring 14 runs off the last over for victory.

The ball was handed to Evans to finish off the job, with the Averbuch reminding the young maestro to bowl the same line and length and to cut out the slow balls as Evans had previously suggested.

With only two men inside the circle, a quick two was followed by another quick two and then another, resulting in Haryom needing eight off the remaining three balls. Evans once more sprinted in with Haryom's remaining players lining the floodlit pavilion. A well pitched up ball hit the batsman full and straight on his pads, with Evans erupting with an appeal that would be rivalled only by a lion roaring in the African Savannah. To the delight of the team, the umpire raised his finger, and BECC were one step closer to securing victory.

With one wicket remaining and Haryom requiring 8 runs off two balls, Evans steamed in hopefully for the last time. Evans released a stunning yorker delivery which resulted in the middle stump being knocked back. Haryom had been bowled out for 141 in 39.4 overs.

BECC had won the game by 7 runs and recorded their fourth consecutive victory in the league.

Captain Warren Averbuch said: "This was a spirited and well fought victory where all players gave 110 per cent. Special contributions from Evans, Myeroff and Wienburg.

Last updated: 2:44pm, August 30 2011