Myers keeps Raiders waiting

By Danny Caro, March 28, 2011

A solitary strike from Ben Myers boosted Oakwood's promotion hopes and left Raiders' title celebrations on hold as they were beaten for the second consecutive week.

Oakwood were on top in first half but could not break down an organised Raiders defence.

The decisive moment came during the second half after Myers free kick from the half way line was misjudged by Raiders keeper David Simnock and he could only push the ball into the back of the net.

At 1-0 Oakwood stepped eased off and Raiders dominated the rest of the second half. With 20 minutes to go Raiders thought they had a brilliant opportunity to level the scores after the referee awarded a penalty for a foul on leading scorer David Dinkin. Rather controversially the referee changed his initial decision after consultation with the linesman.

Led by the impressive Scorah and Levene Oakwood held out the rest of the half for a 1-0 victory.

Oaks joint-manager Alex Schock told JC Sport: "In the first half we totally outplayed them. We passed the ball better, were fitter, quicker and wanted it more, yet we couldn't find the back of the net, this being typical of our season.

"We went ahead though early in the second half with Ben Myers scoring 'a cross' from 45 yards out. After that the game was bit scrappy and we couldn't find the rhythm we had in the first but managed to hold out for the win which we fully deserved.

"A great team performance all round today but our defence was superb with Eddie Manson particularly impressive."

Raiders manager Rob Richman told JC Sport: "The match against Oakwood was always going to be a particularly tough one as we went into the match without seven first team regulars. Despite that we are disappointed we didn't get a point against a really good Oakwood side.

"Oakwood had the majority of possession in the first half but we defended well and limited them to just a few chances. Unfortunately having got to half time at 0-0 we let them score a ridiculously soft goal minutes into the second half.

"After that we dominated the rest of the second half but we couldn't quite create anything clear cut. We thought we had a great opportunity when the referee awarded us a penalty but he rather ridiculously changed his mind.

"Despite our complaints I have to give full credit to the entire Oakwood back four who I thought defended brilliantly throughout."

Last updated: 11:10am, March 29 2011