South Manchester kept title hopes alive

By Danny Caro, February 1, 2011

South Manchester kept their slim title hopes alive with a pulsating win against Westdene’s second team.

Mark Collins struck twice, with Jake Feinstein, David Tuck and Jeremy Nivern scoring the other goals for the visitors, while Ben Blackston struck twice for the hosts and Mike Sheldon scored a penalty.

Collins latched onto a loose ball on the edge of the area to put Manchester in front after 20 minutes, taking a touch before firing into the top corner from 20 yards.

Blackston equalised for the home team five minutes later, firing home after Gary Lederberg headed a free kick down into his path, before putting Westdene ahead with a neat finish after Sheldon’s through ball.

A pulsating first half took another twist as Feinstein equalised from close range after good work by Aaron Searle to beat two men before sending in a dangerous cross.

Manchester went back in front as Anthony Jacobs’ corner was met by Collins who headed home at the near post. Another corner led to Tuck smashing home through a crowded area to make it 4-2 at the break.

The second half was a calmer affair which the visitors controlled, though Westdene continued to show spirit as they attempted to get back into the game.

Marcus Behar put Jeremy Nivern through for the visitors and he lobbed the goalkeeper to make it five, before Zack Newman won a controversial penalty which Sheldon scored for Westdene, but despite the home side’s efforts, they could not ruin a good day’s work for Neal Collins’ men, and he felt the scoreline did not reflect his team’s performance.

South manager Neil Collins said: “It should have been 10 if not more. The third was a dubious penalty and we must have had 8 or 10 chances in the second half. The score flattered them.”

Westdene’s Paul Levy said: “They were better than us but the spirit was excellent. A hard fought game we tried our best but missing key players who are back next game.”

Last updated: 5:43pm, February 1 2011