Five-star Manchester stuns Forresters

January 17, 2011

Manchester Maccabi 1st stunned high flying Forresters Dukinfield with an emphatic 5-1 victory in the League Cup on Sunday.

Jacob Richler-Kleinman, who struck a brace in the win over Harehill last weekend, repeated that feat with another two goals early on for the visitors.

Adam Lavin then struck before Dean Greenfield reduced the arrears for Forresters. Lavin restored the three-goal cushion before Michael Green scored the goal of the game late on.

Forresters had been in an excellent run of form prior to the game, losing just one of their previous 12 matches, and went into Sunday holding the league’s best attacking and defensive records.

The saying that league form goes out of the window in cup competitions was never more apt than here, and perhaps the most impressive aspect of Maccabi's performance was the way in which they contained the host’s potent attack, who have scored an average of four goals per game in the league this season.

Forresters were stunned as Maccabi flew out of the blocks, Richler-Kleinman putting them ahead in the third minute, capitalising on good play to hit a shot under the goalkeeper.

Barely another three minutes had passed by the time Maccabi doubled the lead, Richler-Kleinman again finishing from just inside the box.

Maccabi controlled the play throughout the half, and the only surprise was that it took until the 40th minute for them to extend the lead. Rafi Leker set up Adam Lavin who lofted the ball over the onrushing goalkeeper to make it 3-0.

The home side went in at the break with renewed hope though, as Greenfield capitalised on poor defending to head home a corner.

Despite the scoreline, Forresters were not playing badly, and looked impressive when in possession. The main problem for them was finding a way past the resolute Manchester defence, marshalled by Michael Sacks, and on the occasions when they did create an opening, beating goalkeeper Dan Garman, who had to be at his best to tip over the bar a couple of shots from distance. He also had to be alert to prevent a free kick being headed in by a number of Forresters players queuing up to put it into the net.

Maccabi were a class above on the day, and produced some wonderful one-touch football to dominate and subdue their hosts, who were finished off when Lavin extended the lead again after 65 minutes, heading the ball home following a cross by Mark Woolfe.

The best was yet to come though. Fifteen minutes from time, Green ran past three players before hitting a superb shot into the top corner of the net from 30 yards.

Manchester Maccabi manager Stuart Delmonte was understandably delighted with such a convincing and impressive win against a team sitting second in Division Two of the Tameside League.

“It was a very good all round team performance. I cannot find a man of match, all of the players played really well and we now move onwards and upwards.”

Delmonte’s assistant Tony Rosenberg was effusive in his praise for the team, saying that “they battled for 90 minutes and were worthy of the win.”

Delmonte will now be confident that his side can climb the league as they prepare for a return game with Harehill Tavern next weekend.

If they continue to play like this, they could soon be challenging Forresters for the league title.

Last updated: 4:28pm, January 17 2011