MSFL round-up

By Danny Caro, May 24, 2010
Glenn Michaels helped Chigwell finish fourth

Glenn Michaels helped Chigwell finish fourth

Defending champions North West Neasden A must avoid defeat against London Maccabi Lions A on Wednesday night’s JC MSFL Premier Division decider after both teams won their penultimate matches on Sunday.

Goals from supersub Danny Daggers and Daniel Cole earned NWN a 2-1 win against Redbridge Jewish Care A. Steve Summers replied.

NWN joint-manager Jamie Cole said: “We now need to go to Rowley Lane and put in one last performance.

“I wan to thank Dan Cole for his contribution to Neasden over the last three seasons. The team wish him the best of luck in New York.”

The Lions kept their title aspirations alive following a pair of 2-1 victories in a double-header against Faithfold at Rowley Lane.

Goals from Ben Joseph and Guy Morris wrapped up the points in part one. Ben Lewis replied.

Knowing that anything less than a win would hand Neasden the title, the were put on the back foot when Faithfold took a shock lead through Nick Roman.

With the clock ticking down, veteran Aviel Schwarz equalised with a stunning free-kick into the top corner with five minutes remaining – his shot squeezing past Bradley Lee.

The Lions threw the kitchen sink and it paid off as Mike Pearson fired home from close range.

The win means that Lions must beat Neasden to win the title in a game where one team will land the double. The match could be on Wednesday night.

Hendon United A maintained their hopes of finishing runners-up after beating London Maccabi Lions B twice.

Centre back Paul Bentley was the hat-trick hero as they ran out 5-0 winners in the opener. Saul Conway bagged a brace.

This was followed by a 3-1 victory in part two with Avidan Last, Dovid Korman and Ari Last the marksmen.

Lamenting Lions A’s two late winners, which put paid to his own team’s title hopes, Hendon boss David Garbacz said: “We first and foremost had to concentrate on doing our own job in hand, which was to gain maximum points whilst scoring a few goals in the process.

"We did an excellent professional job and played some lovely flowing football. I must admit we did have one eye on the pitch next door. Once we had done our business and were clearly disappointed that Lions A managed to secure two wins against Faithfold when we knew that even one draw would have still kept us in it for the final week of the season - especially when both their winners came very late on.

"Unfortunately we couldn't influence what happened in those games and we did not get the results we were looking for.

"It looks like we have fallen just a little bit short but we are still aiming for runners-up which will be small consolation considering we have had to cope with injuries to big players all season."

Neasden B are on the verge of clinching second place in Division One following a resounding 5-0 win against a Camden Park team who finished with 10 men.

The win means that Neasden will finish second if they win or draw against Brady next week.

Alex Bowman (2), Adam Klein and Bradley Sharp found the net.

NWN joint-manager Ryan Glynne scored the other with a quickly-taken free-kick that led to angry protests from Camden keeper Phil Caplin who was sent off.

Paying tribute to the retiring Darren Saffer, the Camden striker, Glynne said: "I've played against him several times over the last 10 years. He's a great striker and I hope he doesn't hang his boots up for good."

Ben Murrell was among the scorers as Harmen A ended their season with a hard fought win over Oakwood.

The result sees Harmen remain second although Neasden will leapfrog them if they draw in their last game against Brady next week.

A hat-trick from striker Glenn Michaels helped Chigwell finish fourth and deny FC Team A the runners-up spot following a six-goal thriller at the Met Police Ground in Chigwell.

Mark Conway completed the victory with a stunning strike from the half way line in a result that saw London Maccabi Lions C finish second.

Chigwell manager Richard Slater commented: “Our second half performance was probably the best of the season. We fully deserved to win today, and wanted the game more, no question about it, if just for the second half display.

“Myself and Glenn Davis are really pleased with the squad’s application and attitude this season, after players left we have had to rebuild with the foundations of the lads that stayed loyal, and everyone who we’ve bought in has that Chigs spirit.

“We were excellent today, after going behind twice, and I’m sure the FC Team mangers will be gracious in defeats, and this time admit that the better team won.”

Last updated: 1:39pm, May 24 2010