Lions Under 13 win cup at Wingate

May 17, 2010

London Maccabi Lions Under 13 produced a superb display to lift the Under 13’s Maccabi GB National Phil Spanjer Cup, with a 2-1 win over Manchester Maccabi securing a deserved season ending trophy

On an overcast cloudy May afternoon at Wingate and Finchley, the Lions kicked off and exerted much of the early pressure. Some neat passing exemplified the early Lions play and after six minutes from a great move started by Dom Feldman and Andy Gilbert, Dan Reuben fired home from close range to secure a lightening Lions lead.

Minutes later, a free-kick from Johnny Daitz’s was superbly saved by the Manchester goalkeeper. The Lions continued to press and won many of the midfield mêlées. Jack Reece played a blinder and made some excellent probing runs.

As the rain increased and the crowd headed for the safety of the covered stands, Jake Krais made a number of fine stops and Aden Samuels, Jack Green, Justin Mullem and Ozzy Doron put in customary resilient defensive performances.

The Lions came close again on 28 minutes when an Adam Abadi free kick was parried by the Manchester keeper to ensure that the Lions had only a slender first half advantage.

Manchester found themselves level four minutes into the second half after a slick move and low shot flew past Jake Krais to nestle into the Lions goal.

Two minutes later Manchester were clean through again and Krais made a fine save to parry the shot.

The Lions now really started to press and Ben Myers and Jack Martin were holding up the ball well for Reece and Daitz to create chances. Charlie Becker, Zach Harris and Bailey Snow played their usual quality performances and were involved in many of the Lions best moves.

Daitz had a great shot saved and the Lions forced two corners both excellently taken by Reece, however the Lions could not force home.

Myers had a great chance to score however was ruled offside. The decisive 57 minutes a fabulous Myers through ball found Reece who kept his composure and fired low and hard into the bottom corner to fire home the winner.

With time running out, Manchester began to press and created several chances which were superbly dealt with by the Lions defence. Reece was put through again in the last minute and the Manchester keeper produced a stunning save to push the ball onto the bar and away for a corner.

More than six minutes of injury time was played but as the final whistle blew, the celebrations started in earnest.

Last updated: 3:17pm, May 17 2010