Lions arrested in cup semi-final

April 13, 2010

London Lions failed to make the Aubrey Cup final, going down 1-0 to Met Police in a closely contested game.

Lions were not helped losing Lee Cash after 20 minutes after he tore his hamstring. The winning goal came in the 90th minute.

It was a little harsh on the home side who actually had the better chances over the course of the game.

It was a bright opening to the game with both sides working hard looking for that first goal. As the game unfolded it only looked a matter of time before Lions would open the scoring as they seemed to be creating the better chances.

Lions were dealt a big blow on 25 minutes with Cash pulling his hamstring and having to be replaced by James Stanley. Up until his injury Cash was causing all kinds of problems for the visitors.

On 30 minutes Adam Stolerman was hugely unlucky not to put the Lions ahead after some excellent individual skill. With the ball played into his feet and his back to goal he flipped the ball over his head, dummied his marker and as the ball came back down on the volley hit a sweet right foot that guided the ball past the keeper but agonisingly onto the post and away from danger.

As half time approached Met Police were probably grateful to go in level at the break with Matt Davis in the Lions a virtual spectator throughout the half.

However well Lions played in the first-half was a stark contrast to the second-half as they seemed to lose momentum and started to pass the ball recklessly. This gave Met Police confidence and as the half progressed they got stronger.

Still, Jon Ellis saw a header sail just over the Met Police bar and Dean Nyman had a rasping shot well saved and yet they still couldn’t make the breakthrough.

The tie seemed to be heading for extra-time when disaster struck on full time. Tied legs and a lapse of concentration allowed a Met Police runner to break through unchallenged, with only Davis to beat he drilled a low shot past the keeper which sparked wild celebrations for the visitors.

Lions now need to pick themselves up for a crucial week of league football staring with a home game against Park Street Village on Tuesday night.

Reflecting on the result manager Tony Gold commented: “We had good opportunities before Met Police scored but if you don’t take them when you are on top it makes life difficult.

“We know if we go in front we have the quality players to keep possession and frustrate the opposition but having said that you can’t expect to win any game if you pass the ball as badly as we did in the second-half. We were an accident waiting to happen and that accident happened in the last minute.

“By not taking our chances, we are putting pressure on ourselves. But I still have great faith in my players and I firmly believe we can still achieve our goals.”

Last updated: 4:43pm, April 13 2010