Israel tennis tournament cancelled

The Negev Israel Open has been cancelled due to security concerns arising from the conflict in the region.

The competition in Tel Aviv, scheduled to take place between September 15-21, had been set to become the first ATP World Tour event in Israel since 1996.

ATP chairman Chris Kermode said: “We’re sad we cannot proceed, but ensuring the security of our players, fans and all those involved in organising a world-class event, is our number one priority.

“We hope to be back in Tel Aviv next year. In the meantime, and much more importantly, we hope for a swift return to peace in the region.

Israel Tennis Association chairman Asaf Tochmeir said: "We regret the decision as we have done everything to ensure a successful event takes place in Israel.

"We have raised sufficient funding and have taken care of all organisational requirements.

"On this occasion, I would like to express our most heartfelt concern for the soldiers as well as our condolences for the civilian casualties. We hope to see a swift resolution to the current situation."

Meanwhile, Israel is also coming under pressure to name a neutral venue for next month's Davis Cup World Group play off against Argentina.

Last updated: 11:26am, August 5 2014