Maccabi 2nd lift Shonn Trophy

May 4, 2014

LEEDS MACCABI 2nd 1 MACCABI MANCHESTER 2nd 1 AET (Maccabi won 3-2 on penalties)

League champions Maccabi 2nd completed the double after beating Leeds 2nds on penalties after the Shonn final went the distance at Salford City FC.

Kick-off was delayed for the the 23rd Shonn Trophy showpiece due to an accident on the M62 that meant the travelling Yorkshiremen were caught in the traffic so the game started 25 minutes later than expected. The league champions were probably favourites whilst a strong end to the season has seen Leeds 2nd reach two cup finals.

A very even first period saw Leeds go close early on from Mark Korn's corners, whilst Rick Buxton had a cross and a corner both cleared off the line at the other end. Eventually a chance fell for one of the MJSL's top-scorers, Jack Myers, and as he raced clear, slotted the ball coolly past Marshall Frieze, achieving his ambition to play in the same cup final as his son Ben.

The Mancunians tended to control the majority of the possession, but Leeds threatened on the break and from set-pieces and indeed just before half-time a long through ball saw a cross that was turned home by Johnny Goldstone and after five minutes of added time the first half ended even.

The second half saw more of Leeds in the Manchester half and less on the break with a deep rearguard action at times led coolly as ever by Nick Yardley. Shots flashed past the post and over the bar with several near misses, but no further goals so added extra time was required.

Again, all very tight with minimal quarter given, probably the most controversial moment of the match occurred when the ball bounced high on to a Manchester player's arm, the ref was unsighted but assistant referee Stuart Shapiro closest to the incident clearly thought this was ball to hand and no movement towards the ball, contrary to the belief of many spectators.

1-1 at the end of 120 minutes meant that the final would be decided on penalties. Leeds took first and blazed over, Manchester scored, Leeds equalised and Frieze saved the next Maccabi kick. Both scored the third penalties so still deadlock with 2-2. Leeds missed, Manchester scored to make it 2-3 so Leeds had to score with their fifth penalty to stay in with a chance, but hit the bar and over meaning the trophy went to Maccabi Manchester 2nd.

The match finished at 10.35pm, leaving Mike Shonn to present the trophy to the victorious captain Nick Yardley.

Last updated: 10:30am, May 4 2014