I gave it my best shot, says Jewve boss

Gabriel John has spoken of his disappointment after he was forced to pull Jewventus out of the Maccabi League due to a shortage of committed players.

A veteran of 19 years as a player in the MSFL, player-manager John said he made the decision with a "heavy heart" with just six matches left this season.

"I think it’s disrespectful to do it now,” said John, “but unfortunately I was left with no option as we have too many boys who no longer want to play. “It’s a massive disappointment as I had 24 fantastic players available at the beginning."

John won the league’s Secretary of the Year accolade last season and he said that the pressure of running the team, washing the kit and all administration duties became too much of a burden in the end.

John feels "massively frustrated" about his team's demise

John feels "massively frustrated" about his team's demise

"I've never had trouble getting a team out but the last few weeks had been horrific,” he said. “Unfortunately I don’t think there are enough young boys for whom Sunday morning football is important as it was for me.

"In the end it all fell apart quite quickly as it got to the point where I literally had to beg players to play. That wasn’t for me any more."

Under John, Jewventus had won five games in Division Three and they are the first team to fold this season.
John said: “I’m embarrassed to drop out of the league with six games to go. It kills me as we should have completed the season and done things the right way.

"I’ve got a lot of respect for the MSFL as a Jewish organisation as it’s a wonderful tool for community and gets young Jewish footballers together week in, week out without the fear of receiving any antisemitic abuse as I have experienced playing non-Jewish sport.

"But I think it’s in line with what the FA are saying about Sunday morning football in general in terms of people playing in the biggest form of the game, whereas five-a-side and seven-a-side are flourishing.

"What I’m really disappointed is that there are a handful of boys who cannot play 11-a-side football now until September as the transfer deadline has passed.

"I’ve had some nice calls from people from other clubs and officials which has been great and I hope to return to the league next season."

Last updated: 11:49am, March 28 2013