Pearson fires Faithfold into LFA semi-finals

By Danny Caro, February 4, 2013


A hat-trick from MIKE PEARSON saw Faithfold come from behind to book their place in the last four of the competition following a thrilling comeback against E.Y International in Hatfield.

On the even of the tie, Faithfold's 16-man squad was suddenly reduced to 12, due to illness and players away in Las Vegas, as well as a sick manager.

Faithfold dominating from start to finish, with players 1-11 all exceptional.

However, the Superhoops were caught with a sucker punch just seconds after Mike Pearson had hit the post, with E.Y International scoring with their only shot of the game.

The more the game went on the more it looked like it might not be Faithfold's day, after numerous saves from the EY keeper and Faithfold hitting the woodwork a six times, including an acrobatic overhead bicycle kick from Dan Howard. Faithfold were totally dominating, but the chances continued to go begging and time was ticking away.

The MSFL Premier Division team continued to remain patient and the equaliser eventually arrived in 68th minute after some good work by Johnny Haik. He latched on to a bad clearance, rounded the keeper and from the tight angle laid the ball into the path of the onrushing Pearson to lash the ball into the empty net.

In the last 20 minutes Faithfold contined to dominate and finally put the finishing touches to all the good football they had been playing.

With midfielders, Paul Babai, Benjy Dymant, Dan Perkins and Dan Stock in dominant mood, a patched up Faithfold, finished strongly and sealed the tie in the last 20 minutes.

Daniel Stock, was rewarded for all his good work down the right, finally killed the game off in the 83rd minute with a near-post header after an Alex Levack free-kick.

And it was left to Pearson to complete his hat-trick in the dying seconds with a header after more good work from Haik after an error from the EY keeper.

As the final whistle blew, Faithfold were reflecting on a job well done - with the quadruple well and truly on.

Faithfold's Daryl Phillips, who was standing in for manager Zuriel Solomon, who was ill, told JC Sport: "We were exceptional today - all the way through the team - meaning I didn't get a chance to come on and show the kids how its done! There was just no-one I could take off.

"It was a great performance and now we're into the semis, however that game has gone now and we look foward to next week as we get back the league."

Last updated: 3:01pm, February 4 2013