Manchester

Teenager aims to help the homeless

By Jonathan Kalmus, August 16, 2013

Teenage Jews in Manchester have set up a social action group to help homeless people and educate their peers about social justice.

Founder Maya Rubinstain, a 17-year-old pupil at Manchester’s King David School, said Youth Exist was established “to change the lives of homeless people”.

More..

Children's burial site dig halted

By Jonathan Kalmus, August 5, 2013

Digging work for an access road on top of a Manchester Jewish children’s burial ground has been halted following concerns raised the city’s Beth Din.

As part of major sewage infrastructure works begun by United Utilities last week, workmen dug up one side of the tiny 170-year-old Collyhurst burial ground in north Manchester.

More..

Fears over burial site

By Jonathan Kalmus, July 29, 2013

Fears have been raised that children’s graves in Manchester could be dug up as part of ongoing sewage works. The closed Collyhurst Jewish burial ground in north Manchester was used mainly to bury children of poor families until the late 19th century.

More..

New law is not the answer to autopsy woes

By Jonathan Kalmus, July 26, 2013

New autopsy laws will not protect Jewish families from forced surgical post-mortems being preformed on their loved ones, according to one expert.

More..

Langdon gets good Ofsted report

July 22, 2013

Ofsted inspectors have rated Manchester’s Langdon College for Jews with special needs as good in all aspects.

They found that “teaching and learning are good and the excellent support for students with complex needs greatly improves their behaviour and communication skills so that they can achieve a more productive life when they leave the college”.

More..

Northern welfare charities in 'discreet' merger talks

By Jonathan Kalmus, July 22, 2013

Manchester’s two major Jewish welfare charities have said they will have to consider merger, offer services to greater numbers of non-Jews and attract more communal support for their welfare operations to remain viable.

More..

In pole position for eruv news

By Jonathan Kalmus, July 15, 2013

Evidence of the interest in the north Manchester eruv was the turnout of 400 on Shabbat at Salford’s Stenecourt Synagogue to be told about the final preparations.

They heard that 101 of 117 poles for the religious boundary were in place and that completion was expected by Succot.

More..

Tricked by conmen

By Jonathan Kalmus, July 15, 2013

An elderly Manchester Jewish couple have been robbed by conmen, who cut their Prestwich property’s drainpipe and stole money while pretending to repair it.

One of the conmen showed the 81-year-old husband the drainpipe spewing water at the Albert Avenue house last Friday. He then summoned two accomplices who stole £150 from a cashbox while they were supposedly turning off the water supply.

More..

Stenecourt vacancy

By Jonathan Kalmus, July 1, 2013

Manchester modern Orthodox synagogue Stenecourt is seeking new spiritual leadership after Rabbi Jacob Rubinstein announced his retirement.

Rabbi Rubinstein has been the community’s senior minister since his former congregation, Central, closed and merged with Stenecourt in 2008 due to declining membership.

More..

Serial Salford burglar is brought to justice for 28 break-ins

By Jonathan Kalmus, June 24, 2013

A MANCHESTER burglar who stole from Jewish houses has been jailed after admitting 28 break-ins.

Michal Juras, 24, lived close to most of his victims in Salford, in the heart of Manchester’s Jewish community.

He was charged with five burglaries at Manchester Crown Court but admitted a further 23. He was jailed for three years and six months.

More..