The alleged killer of an eight-year-old Charedi boy from New York is expected to plead guilty to his murder.
Levi Aron initially confessed to abducting and dismembering Leiby Kletzky days after the boy went missing on the way home from summer camp, but later said pleaded not guilty.
The discovery of Leiby's body parts in two locations in the Boro Park area, including at Aron's home, sent shockwaves around the Brooklyn Charedi community. Despite his lawyer’s efforts, Aron was declared competent to stand trial after a psychological exam.
According to State Assemblyman Dov Hikind, Aron will now plead guilty to the charges under a deal for which he will receive a life sentence. Mr Hikind said the deal had been struck in consultation with the boy’s family.
“The family would very much like to avoid a trial and to relive the tragedy," he said. "It's way too painful."
The deal has not been confirmed by the Brooklyn district attorney, but is expected to be made official on August 9.