Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
● 175g softened butter
● 175g caster sugar
● 100g ground rice
● 1 tsp baking powder
● 175g ground almonds, sifted
● Zest and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
● ½ tsp vanilla extract
● 3 medium eggs
For the drizzle
● 2 unwaxed lemons, grated and freshly squeezed
● 50g icing sugar
● 2 tbsp water
● Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a non-stick 20cm springform cake tin. Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy then add the eggs and vanilla extract and beat until blended. Do not over-beat.
● Add the ground rice, baking powder, ground almonds. Add the lemon juice and zest of 1 lemon and mix together until smooth.
● Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
● To make the syrup drizzle, place the lemon zest and juice in a small saucepan together with the icing sugar and water
● When the sugar has dissolved, turn up the heat and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes, then simmer for 3 minutes to reduce and thicken the syrup. Then pour the syrup through a sieve into a small bowl. Keep the zest as a garnish.
● When the cake is done, cool it on a wire rack for 5 minutes before loosening the tin and piercing all over with a fine skewer or tooth pick. Carefully spoon over the syrup.
● Leave for 20 minutes while the cake absorbs the syrup.
● Serve with crème fraiche.