● 275g packet filo pastry
● 1 large onion, approx 200g peeled and sliced
● 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped or crushed
● 600g mushrooms sliced or chopped – choose a variety for good flavour
● 1 dsp olive oil, plus extra for glazing
● 1 scant dsp plain flour
● 225g frozen peas
● 1 teaspoon paprika
● ¼ tsp cayenne
● 25g fresh coriander – finely chopped
● 25g fresh mint – finely chopped
● 150-200g low-fat mozzarella or low-fat feta
● Salt and pepper
● Sesame seeds, to garnish
● Sweat the onions in the oil. When soft add the garlic, mushrooms, paprika, cayenne and cook until the mushrooms have coloured slightly.
● Stir in the frozen peas and the flour and cook for a few minutes. Add the chopped herbs and season to taste. Cool.
● Grease a large pie dish.
● Open filo leaves.Spread 5 layers on the bottom of dish leaving the edges overhanging
● Pour in the mushroom filling.
● Top with slivers of mozzarella. Fold up the overhanging edges of the filo.
● Scrunch up the remaining filo leaves.
● Brush lightly with oil. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
● Bake for 30-45 mins 180-190C until golden.
● For an exotic, higher calorie option, add 3 tablespoons oven-toasted pine-nuts and 2 tablespoons currants.