This salad has got so much going for it. It is fresh, colourful – in an orange sort of way - and really, really good for you. The cinnamon, cumin and orange flower water dressing makes it sexy enough to serve to guests, and it is also totally more-ish. You can prepare the dressing and the salad components a day ahead, just don't dress it until you are ready to serve.
If you don't eat it all, it will keep well in your fridge for a few days.
For the dressing
● ½ tsp ground cumin
● ½ tsp ground cinnamon
● 1 tbsp runny honey or agave syrup
● Juice of ½ a lemon
● ½ tbsp orange flower water (optional)
● 75ml extra-virgin olive oil
● Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
● 500g carrots, coarsely grated (best done with your food processor grater attachment)
● 2 medium or 1 large orange, peeled, segmented and pips removed
● 50g raisins or golden sultanas
For the garnish
● Handful of roughly chopped coriander
● 2 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
● Soak the raisins for at least 30 minutes (or preferably overnight) in boiling water. If the excess liquid is sweet you can add it to the dressing. Otherwise, discard. Add the raisins to the other salad ingredients in a large bowl.
● For the dressing: mix the cumin, cinnamon and honey/agave syrup in a bowl. Mix in the lemon juice and orange flower water. Whisk in the oil and season with salt, pepper and the syrup to taste.
● Add the dressing, mix gently and check the seasoning again. Garnish with the coriander and pine nuts.