North Western Reform Synagogue in Golders Green has taken possession of the first newly written Sefer Torah in its 78-year history.
The scroll was written in London and funded by members' contributions ranging from £1 to £400. The project was led by Rabbi Laura Janner Klausner, who pointed out that "every Shabbat there is more than one service taking place at Alyth.
"We needed an additional Sefer Torah which everyone could carry with dignity."
In a celebratory procession, 200 members paraded the Sefer Torah to the shul from the Meadway address in Hampstead Garden Suburb where the congregation held its first service in June 1933.
It was carried into the synagogue by 95-year-old Harold Langdon, former chairman of the Movement for Reform Judaism, in his wheelchair and passed on to Jemma Woyda, 18, to place in the Ark.