This is a great summer soup, ideal for an al fresco lunch, as a canapé in shot glasses or a fun picnic idea. For a picnic, take it chilled in a thermos flask with the basil oil separate. Serve in clear glasses and add a drop of basil oil just before serving. You can drink it straight from the glass - no spoons required.
Time: 20 min plus chilling time.
Serves 6-8 as starter.
● 1kg ripe red vine/plum/cherry tomatoes (or a mix)
● 400ml tomato juice
● 60ml balsamic vinegar
● 2-3 cloves of garlic
● 2 tsp salt
● Black pepper
● For the pesto dressing
● Bunch of fresh basil
● Extra virgin olive oil
● Put the tomatoes in a food processor/blender with the juice, garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. It's probably easier to blend it in 2-3 batches. Process until liquid.
● Pass the mixture through a vegetable mill (mouli) or sieve to filter out the skin and seeds. Press it well with a spoon if using a sieve. Check the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper or vinegar if needed. TIP: Cold dishes need more seasoning than hot ones.
● Pour in a container with a lid and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. Alternatively freeze for 30 minutes.
● Prepare the basil dressing by whizzing the basil with some salt and a generous splash of extra virgin olive oil into the food processor/blender.
● Once the soup is chilled and ready to serve, stir/shake it well and pour it into serving bowls. Drizzle a little basil oil dressing on top and serve.
● It keeps well for a few days in the fridge.