Breakfast is a meal without dessert, so I generally prefer to sleep through it. When there is time, I prefer brunch as it combines the best bit of breakfast and lunch. Brunch and holidays go together like al and dente. And this omelette wrap is easy to make, with or without a hangover. As are the muffins, which my cousin Lorraine says you should dust with icing sugar for seasonal effect. Looking at the frost outside, I'm not so sure.
2tbsp olive oil
1tsp runny honey
1tbsp wholegrain mustard
½ lemon, juice only
2tbsp fresh dill, chopped
salt and pepper
4 large eggs
75g Edam, grated
55g rocket leaves
125g smoked salmon
90g bag mixed salad leaves
● Pre-heat the grill to medium.
● Whisk the oil, mustard, honey, lemon juice, dill and a little seasoning. Set aside.
● Whisk the eggs lightly, stir in the rocket plus salt and pepper.
● Heat the butter in a large non-stick frying pan until foaming. Add the egg mixture and sprinkle over the Edam.
● With a wooden spoon gently stir the mixture around the surface of the pan.
● Cook until golden brown underneath. Place under the grill until just set on top.
● Remove the pan from the heat and arrange the salmon over the top. Using a palette knife, roll the omelette over and turn out onto a chopping board.
● Arrange the salad leaves on two plates and drizzle with a little of the dressing.
● Cut the rolled omelette on the slant into equal pieces and place on top of the salad leaves.
● Drizzle over and around the remaining dressing and serve.
SPICY CRANBERRY AND ALMOND MUFFINS
● 200g flour
● 1½ teaspoons baking powder
● ½ teaspoon grated nutmeg
● 1 teaspoon mixed spice
● Pinch of salt
● 50g ground almonds
● 175g sugar
● 1 medium egg
● 300ml buttermilk
● 50g butter, melted
● 250g fresh cranberries
● 15g almonds, chopped
● Icing sugar (optional)
● Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6
● Sift the flour, baking powder, nutmeg mixed spice and salt into a bowl and stir in the ground almonds and sugar.
● Beat the egg, buttermilk and melted butter together and stir into the flour mixture to make a smooth batter.
● Fold in the cranberries and fill 10 paper muffin cases three-quarters full.
● Scatter with the almonds and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden. Cool on a wire rack before serving.