175g dried chickpeas
1 small onion, finely chopped
2-3 fat cloves garlic, crushed
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsps fresh coriander
1-2 tbsps fresh parsley/mint finely chopped and dried
Salt and pepper
1 ½ tbsps warm water
¾ tsp baking powder
● Soak dried chickpeas in double depth of water for minimum 12 hours. Drain. Dry well.
● Blitz in the processor with onion, garlic, spices, herbs, seasoning.
● Mix water, baking powder in a cup. Stir into falafel mix. Roll firmly into balls. Chill at least 30 minutes.
● Tip 5 cm oil into frying pan. When hot enough to crisp a breadcrumb, fry a few of the balls at a time, turning, till golden brown, cooked through. Sit them on kitchen paper.
● Eat in wraps, cumin flatbread or pitta.