With three teenagers, I have lived through many years of exam stress.
Well, what I mean is, I get stressed. They, on the other hand, look as if they are studiously peering at their computer screen, but on closer inspection are engrossed in online poker.
Of course we should feed our children healthy food all the time but there are times when what you eat can make the difference between success and failure. Omega 3 found in oily fish like salmon are good brain boosters and can be of particular benefit to dyslexic, dyspraxic and hyperactive children. So here is my simple but tasty recipe for salmon fish cakes, which are very popular with my kids.
A few more tips to try to ensure your child graduates cum laude. Start the day with a good breakfast — wholegrain cereal with a glass of orange juice is good as the vitamin C helps us absorb the iron from the cereal, which boosts brain power. Keep energy levels up with healthy snacks which speeds up brain function. And persuade them to get some exercise and plenty of sleep.
Annabel Karmel has written 16 books on feeding babies, children and families.
Makes eight fishcakes.
Suitable for freezing
250g cooked potato (approx 250g potatoes peeled and cut into chunks)
2 tbsp mayonnaise
1 ½ tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tsp lemon juice
20g sliced spring onion
35g Cheddar cheese, grated
2 tbsp ketchup
250g raw salmon cut into small cubes
60g fresh breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
100g dried breadcrumbs for coating
Sunflower oil for frying the fish cakes
3 tbsp Mayonnaise
2 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Put the chunks of potato into a pan. Cover with boiling water and add a little salt. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and leave to cool down.
- Mix together with the mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce, spring onion, grated Cheddar and ketchup and roughly mash using a potato masher.
- Mix in the salmon cubes and breadcrumbs and season.
- Using your hands, form the mixture into about 8 fish cakes. Coat in the dried breadcrumbs.
- Heat some oil in a large frying pan and sauté for about 5 minutes, turning halfway until golden on both sides.
- To make the dip, simply mix together the mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce