The crisp herb pastry is a delightful foil for the creamy, delicate filling in this delicious savoury tarte — perfect for Shavuot. The pastry is quick and easy to make in the food processor and freezes well.
Serve the same day. Leftovers keep 2 days.
● 125g brown (not granary) plain flour
● 125g white plain flour
● 2 teasp icing sugar
● Generous tbsp chopped fresh dill or chives
● 1 teasp dry mustard
● 150g cold butter or cooking margarine, cut into small chunks
● 1 large egg
● l teasp wine vinegar
For the filling
● 225g curd cheese
● 50g grated mature cheddar or firm blue cheese
● 3 egg yolks
● 1 whole egg
● 2 teasp cornflour
● l50 ml whipping cream
● 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill or chives
● 1 teasp lemon zest
● 15 grinds black pepper
● To make the pastry: Put all the dry ingredients, with ½ teasp salt and the cold fat, into the food processor.
● Whisk together the egg, vinegar and 1 tbsp cold water.
● Turn on the food processor and pour this mixture through the feed tube, pulsing just until the mixture begins to cling together in moist little balls.
● Tip into a large bowl and gather the dough together into a ball, then turn it on to a lightly-floured surface and knead gently to remove any cracks. Flatten into a 2.5cm disc, wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200˚C (400˚F, Gas 6).
● Roll out the chilled dough so that it generously fits a 23 to 25 cm round or square loose-bottomed quiche tin. Press the pastry well into the sides and trim off any excess.
● Prick all over with a fork then line with a piece of foil pressed firmly into its shape.
● Bake the case for 10 minutes or until the pastry feels dry to the touch. Remove the foil and bake a further 5 minutes until lightly coloured. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 190˚C (375˚F, Gas 5).
● Meanwhile put the cheeses into a large plastic jug or lipped bowl, and add all the remaining ingredients in the order given, using a balloon whisk or hand-held electric whisk to make sure it is smooth.
● Return the pastry shell to the oven then carefully pour the cheese mixture into it.
● Bake for 30 minutes until puffed and golden.
● Allow to cool for 5 minutes then serve in wedges with a crisp salad.