Nowadays you might not be able to rely on a bank but in May at least you can rely on bank holidays. We all profit when the sun makes an appearance so that everybody can enjoy this double bonus. There are endless possibilities to enjoy, using your time and maybe your flexible friend to add interest to the holiday.
What better way to spend the bank holiday Monday than Princess Picnicking? You can even do this in your own back garden if you are worried about getting caught in bank holiday traffic.
The picnic is a much loved British tradition even though we may not all have silver service picnic hampers and a butler (wouldn’t that be fabulous). Sandwich zip lock plastic bags, and a supermarket cold bag with a couple of ice blocks do just as well. If you happen to have a waterproof tartan rug, then all you need is some fabulous food and wine to fill your friends and family with that feelgood factor. Of course a thermos flask and a large umbrella must always be packed — in England you need to be Princess Prepared for anything.
I am hoping that the next bank holiday will prove to have a sunny outlook (PG), and will be worth saving this recipe for. You can bank on this being a winning gourmet treat, wherever you decide to eat it.
● 1 tablespoon olive oil
● 200g diced onions
● 180g fresh spinach
● 1 large egg
● 400g cream cheese
● 250g mozzarella cheese grated
● 2 tablespoons Parmesan finely grated
● Salt and pepper
● 212g shortcrust pastry (ready made)
● Turn oven on to gas mark4/180˚c/350˚f
● In a large frying pan toss the onions in the olive oil until slightly translucent.
● Continue to fry and add the spinach and cook until the spinach wilts.
● In a large bowl, mix the onion, spinach, egg, cream cheese, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan.
● Add salt and pepper to taste.
● Roll out your pastry on a floured board and place in your 30cm oven to tableware greased flan dish
● Pour the filling mixture into the pastry case.
● Place in hot oven for approximately 20-30 minutes.
JP’s Notes: This recipe pays you back high yields of love