The Jewish mortuary at Manchester General Hospital has been repaired after a fire in March which caused damaged estimated at £50,000. The fire was started by a discarded cigarette. Although the police did not suspect malicious intent, the hospital has bolstered security measures.
A spokesman for the Pennine Acute Hospitals NHS Trust said works to the mortuary had been completed and it was in discussions with the community over reopening the facility. “A new intruder alarm and fire alarm have been fitted to the mortuary, both of which are linked in to the hospital security system. The main gates have also been fitted with a new combination lock to enhance the site’s security.”
In the interim, the halachic cleansing rituals before burial have been conducted at Heathlands care home in Prestwich, which has its own small mortuary.