This rare map, dated 1889, showing the distribution of Jews living in East London has just gone on display in the capital.
Created by cartographer George Arkell, it covers an area stretching three miles, from the borders of the City of London to Mile End, and reveals that the highest concentration of Jews — from 95 to 100 per cent, shown in blue — was located in and around Whitechapel.
The streets marked red are where less than five per cent of the population was comprised of Jews, or, as Mr Arkell termed it, where “the gentiles predominate”.
More than 100,000 Jews emigrated from eastern Europe to London during the late Victorian period and most of them settled in the East End.
The map is part of an exhibition by Daniel Crouch Rare Books at Masterpiece London 2013, which continues at the Royal Hospital Chelsea until July 3.