Cameron condemns Egypt Israeli embassy attack

David Cameron has condemned the storming of the Israeli embassy in Cairo on Friday.

A violent mob attacked the Cairo site on Friday evening, necessitating Israel and Egyptian commandos to conduct an emergency airlift to bring the Israeli ambassador and his family to safety.

More than a thousand people were injured and three people were killed in the clashes, despite police and military attempts to quell the violence. The siege continued until the early hors of Saturday morning.

The British Prime minister said he strongly condemned the attack and added that he had called on the Egyptian authorities to meet their responsibilities under the Vienna Convention "to protect diplomatic property and personnel, including the Israeli Embassy in Cairo".

"The Egyptian authorities have previously said that they will uphold Egypt’s international agreements including its peace treaty with Israel," he said.

"We welcome this and look to Egypt to honour this commitment. We urge both countries to work together to resolve current tensions and enhance regional stability".

Egypt and Israel have enjoyed largely peaceful relations since the signing of the Camp David Accords more than 30 years ago. But the collapse of the regime of President Hosni Mubarak has fuelled concerns about the stability of the peace treaty.

However Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he believed Egypt was still committed to peace. He told his cabinet that Israel and the Egyptian authorities were already looking at ways to return the ambassador and his staff to Cairo.

He said: "Those who rip down flags ... they are negating peace and the country.

"I am glad there are other forces in Egypt, including the Egyptian government, that are interested in advancing peace."

Last updated: 12:23pm, September 11 2011