Search begins for lost faces of Holocaust

Albert Reingewirtz, a survivor who contacted the museum after spotting his photo

Albert Reingewirtz, a survivor who contacted the museum after spotting his photo

A campaign has ben launched to identify Holocaust survivors who lost contact with their families during the Nazi era.

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum has posted on its website photographs of some of the more than a million children who had been separated and displaced in the war years.

Pictures of more than 1,000 of them were taken soon after the end of the Second World War by relief agencies, in an attempt to reunite families.

The USHMM said the aim was to "discover what became of these young survivors" who were "the most vulnerable victims of war and genocide". Once the faces in the photographs are identified, their stories will be placed on the museum's website and preserved for the future.

Within two days of the first image being posted on the site, a French survivor got in touch to say he was one of those pictured.

Jude Richter, a historian at the museum, said the aim was to explore the past from the child's point of view.

She said: "You're hearing from a child who may have been taken away from his mother or a father who placed him in hiding."

    Last updated: 9:38am, August 10 2011