Fears for repeat of Mumbai terror attacks

Police in Mumbai are on high alert after receiving warning that members of the same terrorist group blamed for striking a Jewish centre and other locations in 2008 were planning to launch another attack.

The Mumbai police commissioner said they had been given warning that four militants from the Pakistan-based Lashkar-E-Taiba had entered the Indian city with the aim of repeating the carnage of November 2008, when more than 170 people were killed.

Over the two day killing spree, gunmen laid siege to the Taj Mahal hotel and a busy train station.

They also attacked Jewish visitors at Nariman House, leaving six people dead and orphaning the infant son of the Mumbai Chabad emisssaries, Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and his wife Rivka.

Himanshu Roy, joint police commissioner, said that security, including additional police numbers and check-points, had been increased around the city.

Mr Roy said: "The men are planning violent attacks that are going to cause destruction.

“We believe the threat is serious.”

Two of the terrorists, allegedly linked with Lashkar-E-Taiba, were killed by Indian commandoes as they attempted to end the rampage. Only one was caught alive and earlier this year was sentenced to death.

Although Lashkar-E-Taiba is officially banned in Pakistan, in July the Indian Home Secretary accused Pakistan of masterminding “from beginning to end” the attacks.

Last updated: 11:05am, December 24 2010