Bodies of kidnapped Israeli teenagers found
Police have found the bodies of the three Israeli teenagers kidnapped by Hamas activists
Police have found the bodies of the three Israeli teenagers kidnapped by Hamas activists three weeks ago.
This evening Israeli authorities confirmed reports that the human remains found earlier this evening near Hebron were the bodies of the abducted teenagers.
The security cabinet convened an emergency meeting as the IDF boosted its military presence around Hebron.
The yeshivah students - Israelis Eyal Yifrach, 19 and Gilad Shaar, 16, and Israeli-American Naftali Frenkel, 16 – were last seen near Hebron on June 12.
In a statement British prime minister David Cameron said he was "deeply saddened" at the news.
He said: "This was an appalling and inexcusable act of terror perpetrated against young teenagers. Britain will stand with Israel as it seeks to bring to justice those responsible.
"Tonight my thoughts and prayers are with the families of Gilad, Naftali and Eyal. No parent should have ever to suffer such heartache or grief."
Chief Rabbi Ephraim Mirvis said he was "shocked and deeply saddened".
He added: "We stand as one with their families, teachers and friends. May they find strength and support in their time of grief.
"We pray for stability and security in the region and for the right of innocent men, women and children to live their lives in peace.”
Chief Rabbi Pinchas Goldschmidt, president of the Conference of European Rabbis, said: “Just as Jewish communities around the world have been united in their prayer for the last 18 days, today we are united in our unspeakable grief. There are simply no words to convey the deep sense of loss that is being felt across the Jewish world.”
Yesterday, Israeli officers were dismissed after an investigative body found a “serious failure of conduct” on the night three teenagers were kidnapped by Hamas activists.
The investigative committee, which released its report today, found that operators monitoring the police emergency hotline had mishandled a phone call on the night of the kidnapping (June 12).