Teen convicted of station attack

A teenager has admitted punching a Jewish schoolboy in the face during an unprovoked attack.

The 15-year-old victim, from Stanmore, Middlesex, was leaving Kingsbury Tube station in January when he was approached by three boys.

He tried to walk away but one of the youths, who cannot be named for legal reasons, followed him and asked: “What you saying about me?” and then punched him in the face.

The attacker had bullied his victim on two previous occasions, including during a football match when he made antisemitic comments.

Three weeks after the attack, the victim spotted the other boy boarding a bus outside the same station and alerted two police officers standing nearby, who then arrested the youth.

Howard Collins, chief operating officer of London Underground, said: “I am very pleased that the victim had the presence of mind to identify the suspect soon after his attack and ultimately break the chain of bullying he experienced.”

The 14-year-old, from Harrow, north-west London, pleaded guilty to one count of common assault at Brent Youth Court last month. He was ordered to complete a six-month referral order during which he will take part in a youth offender panel.

He must also pay £40 compensation to his victim and £40 court costs.

Although he admitted the attack, he refused to respond to police questioning.

Detective Constable Marcos Gilson, of British Transport Police, said: “This was an attack on a young lad who was simply making his way home after school.

“I hope that the assailant’s conviction sends out the clearest possible message that this sort of violence will not be tolerated.”

    Last updated: 4:27pm, April 29 2009