'Strangler' cleared of attacking Nicole Farhi

By Keren David, June 24, 2009
Follow The JC on Twitter

A 27-year-old man has been cleared of attacking the fashion designer Nicole Farhi, but found guilty of seven "strangulation" robberies.

Matthew Mykoo, of Brent, north-west London, was convicted of the attacks at Wood Green crown court today. He was found not guilty of of robbing Farhi, 62 on her doorstep in Highgate last year, a crime that his brother Daniel Mykoo, 28 admitted.

The French-born designer lost consciousness in the attack. She told the court she came round to discover the men stealing her diamond ring, along with a Rolex watch that had belonged to her father.

Matthew Mykoo denied 16 counts of robbery, but admitted two other counts. He was convicted of seven robberies and cleared of eight attacks.

Daniel Mykoo, 28, from Fulham, had earlier admitted 19 attacks, including attacks on the designer as well as two car offences.

The brothers were warned by Judge Nicholas Browne that they may face life sentences. He said: "I warn you in very clear terms that an indeterminate sentence for public protection is virtually inevitable bearing in mind the number of victims and the fact that these robberies were of the most serious type I have ever encountered.

Sentencing was adjourned until 23 July.

    Last updated: 2:23pm, June 24 2009