Charedi youth beaten unconscious by teen gang

By Leon Symons, June 20, 2008

A teenage boy was attacked and beaten unconscious by a gang of up to eight youths while on his way to his home in North London on Sunday afternoon.

The gang, thought to be aged between 10 and 14, then ran off with his kippah and tefillin, leaving the 15-year-old unconscious on the pavement, with bruises around his eye and nose, and bleeding from a cut lip.

The youth, who lives in Stamford Hill, was taken to Homerton Hospital by the Hatzolah ambulance service and was kept in overnight for observation.

Police hunting the gang are treating the assault as a racist crime and have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

Det Con Dan Jackson of Hackney Police Community Safety Unit said: “This was a nasty and unprovoked attack which left the young victim needing hospital attention. We are currently investigating the incident and are treating it as racially motivated.

“I would urge anyone who was in the area at the time of the attack to come forward as they may have seen something significant.”

The gang had started following the boy as he walked along Cazenove Road and then into Geldeston Road before they set upon him near an entrance to the Northwold housing estate.

Police said one older boy, aged between 12 and 14, punched the Jewish youth in the face. The teenager fell to the floor and two more of the gang landed more blows to his face as he lay on the floor.

The gang were then believed to have run off towards Northwold Road.

Police said the gang were all white, with the exception of one boy who was of south Mediterranean appearance.

Anyone with information should contact DC Jackson at Hackney’s Community Safety Unit on 020 7275 4075, or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Meanwhile, the crew of a Hatzolah ambulance on their way to an emergency call was involved in a right-of-way row with a driver who refused to give way in Moundfield Road on Saturday evening.

The man, who was driving a Smart car, was believed to have threatened the crew when they asked him to move out of their way. Police were called to the scene but both vehicles had gone by the time they arrived.

Last updated: 3:41pm, July 15 2009