Barred from US, Galloway vows 'nothing will stop me'

George Galloway

George Galloway

George Galloway has been denied entry into America.

The former Respect MP, and notorious pro-Palestinian activist was due to speak in five US cities but was barred by US authorities. The Muslim Legal Fund of America, which organised the tour, said the ban was because of “visa problems”.

Mr Galloway, who last month was disciplined by broadcasting standards monitor Ofcom for breaching the rules on impartiality during his Press TV show, instead used Skype to address crowds via webcam.

He reportedly said that the decision to ban him was not political, but down to a “technical glitch at Heathrow Airport.”

He added: “My office is now in touch with the embassy in London to fix it.”

A blogger present at a venue where the controversial politician addressed a crowd via the video link, said that Mr Galloway said: “Nothing will stop me. Not the government of what they call Israel; not the government of Canada or the US.”

Mr Galloway has previously been deported from Egypt.

The tour was intended to follow a similar one in Canada earlier this month, which provoked anger from Jewish organisations. Despite the bar, Mr Galloway said he would still try and make a speech in Michigan in January.

Last updated: 11:40am, December 20 2010