FZY teenagers injured in Zanzibar acid attack
Kirstie Trup and Katie Gee
Two Jewish 18-year-old girls from north west London have been victims of an acid attack in Zanzibar, east Africa.
Two men on a moped threw acid at Katie Gee and Kirstie Trup as they walked through the island’s capital, Stone Town, on Wednesday night.
The girls, who were both members of FZY, were flown to hospital in Dar es Salaam with non-life threatening injuries to their hands, chests and faces.
They were discharged on Thursday morning. The motive for the attack is unknown.
Miss Trup’s father, Marc Trup a dentist in Hampstead, told the Telegraph: “We're trying to get them back as soon as possible. We're trying to organise a medivac flight."
The girls were in their last week of a volunteering programme arranged by company i-to-i. In a statement a spokesperson said: "All our efforts remain focussed on ensuring they are supported whilst assisting them and their relatives with the arrangements for their return home.”
According to local deputy police commissioner Mkadam Khamis, "the motive for the attack on the volunteers, aged 18 years, has not been established. Police in Zanzibar have launched a manhunt, and we ask for public assistance in identifying the attackers".
Close friend Oli Cohen, 21, told reporters: "Katie was attacked two weeks ago by a Muslim woman for singing on Ramadan. She was shocked as it just came from out of the blue - but she wasn't scared enough to come home she stayed out there to finish her trip and volunteering.”
Miss Gee's mother, Nicky, has previously featured in the JC as a supporter of the Israel-based Hazon Yeshaya Soup Kitchens charity.
Friends of the girls took to Twitter to express their shock and support. Sabrina Davies wrote: "Hope @katiejgee and Kirstie make a speedy recovery, thinking of you both xxx"
Louisa Green also tweeted: "Cant actually believe what I just read in the news... Absolutely horrific. Thoughts are with @katiejgee and Kirsty Xxx".
Jemima Schav said: "Really hoping @katiejgee is okay right now".
A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are aware of an incident and are providing consular assistance."
He said staff were working hard to bring the pair back to England.