War crimes

Call to speed up genocide trial of alleged Serbian Nazi

By Jennifer Lipman, December 21, 2010

The World Jewish Congress (WJC) has appealed to US authorities to help justice to be done by speeding up the extradition of a man accused of Nazi war crimes.

Peter Egner, allegedly a member of the Belgrade Gestapo during the Holocaust, will face charges of genocide if he is extradited to his former home of Serbia.

The 88-year-old, who is German but was born and raised in what was then Yugoslavia, is suspected of serving in an Einsatzgruppe, one of the mobile Nazi units, which was responsible for the deaths of 17,000 civilians, including Jews, Roma and political captives.

More..

Libel charges dropped against Nazi-hunter Efraim Zuroff

By Jennifer Lipman, December 16, 2010

Libel charges against Nazi-hunter Efraim Zuroff were thrown out of a Hungarian court today after the plaintiff, a man suspected of Holocaust-era war crimes by Mr Zuroff, did not show up in court.

Judge Viktor Vadász had previously warned Sandor Kepiro, 96, that the case would not proceed without his presence in the Budapest court.

The judge is believed to have told Mr Kepiro’s lawyer that if his client was healthy enough to attend the first court date in October, he would be expected at the second.

More..

Dutch issue arrest warrant for Nazi living in Germany

By Jessica Elgot, November 25, 2010

The Netherlands has issued a fresh European arrest warrant for a Dutch-born convicted Nazi war criminal living in Germany.

Klass-Carel Faber, 88, served as an SS officer and is high on the Simon Wiesenthal Centre’s list of Nazi criminals. Germany has refused to extradite him and he lives in Bavaria.

The Dutch public prosecutor's office said the warrant was a “preliminary step” and then a formal extradition request will be made to Germany.

This is the first time the Netherlands has issued a European arrest warrant for a war criminal.

More..

Finally, Britain to end arrest threat to visiting Israelis

By Martin Bright, November 25, 2010

Measures to stop magistrates issuing arrest warrants for foreign politicians and military figures accused of war crimes could be introduced as early as next week.

More..

Third Nazi suspect could face war crimes charges

By Jennifer Lipman, August 9, 2010

A suspected former Nazi guard who acted as a witness in the trial of John Demjanjuk may be prosecuted for war crimes.

According to Spiegel news magazine German prosecutors are considering charging “Alex N” for involvement in killing Jewish prisoners at Treblinka concentration camp during the Holocaust.

The 93-year-old was born in the Ukraine but gained German citizenship in 1991.

Researchers investigating the case said other camp guards called having heard Alex N boast about shooting Jews.

More..

Suspected Nazi indicted for Belzec murders

By Jennifer Lipman, July 28, 2010

A man named as the third most-wanted Nazi suspect has been charged with participating in the murder of 430,000 Jews during the Holocaust.

Samuel Kunz, 90, who is believed to have spent 18 months as a guard at the Belzec death camp in Poland, has been indicted in Germany.

He is also suspected of murder over "personal excesses" for allegedly shooting ten Jews in two separate incidents.

Mr Kunz, number three on the Simon Wiesenthal Centre’s list of wanted Nazis, has not faced trial before.

More..

Man, 85, deported to Austria for Nazi crimes

By Jessica Elgot, May 21, 2010

An 85-year-old man, who has admitted he was a SS guard at three Nazi concentration camps, has had his US citizenship revoked and will be deported to Austria.

Anton Geiser, who lives in Sharon, Philadelphia, admitted he served as an SS Guard in Sachsenhausen in 1943, where he marched forced labourers and was on orders to shoot attempted escapees. He was a member of the SS Death’s Head battalion

He also admitted serving as an armed guard at Buchenwald and Arolsen between November 1943 and April 1945.

More..

Jack Straw publishes draft for war crimes arrest law change

By Marcus Dysch, March 18, 2010

The Ministry of Justice has published a draft bill aimed at resolving the issue of universal jurisdiction.

A change in the law would make it more difficult for Israeli politicians to be arrested in Britain for alleged war crimes.

It remains unlikely, however, that there will be time to complete the process before the end of the parliamentary term.

The proposal suggests restricting the right to prosecute to the Crown Prosecution Service as being the "most straightforward solution".

More..

Analysis: You've betrayed the Jewish community, Jack Straw

By Martin Bright, March 11, 2010

The time has now come to tell the full story of how the government betrayed the Jewish community over "universal jurisdiction". In more than a decade of covering UK politics, I have never known a story quite like this.

It is now three months since David Miliband and Gordon Brown pledged to change the law that allowed an arrest warrant to be issued for Israeli opposition leader Tzipi Livni.

More..

Ami Ayalon: no arrest in London

By Jessica Elgot, March 10, 2010

The former head of Israel’s secret service, Shin Bet, Ami Ayalon, has returned to Israel after speaking in London, without being arrested.

Israeli lawyers met Mr Ayalon at the airport when he landed in London in case he was arrested but the visit went without a hitch. Pro-Palestinian groups were expected to perhaps seek an arrest warrant for Mr Ayalon under universal jurisdiction.

Mr Ayalon, formerly a government minister and ex-head of the Israeli navy, spoke at the LSE on Monday evening as part of a public discussion entitled “The Goldstone Report and the Peace Process”.

More..