The Holocaust

US resolution to aid Holocaust survivors won't help

By Paul Berger, December 9, 2010

Finding a consensus in Washington is nothing short of miraculousthese days.

So it was noteworthy that a resolution to support care programmes for Holocaust survivors was approved by a unanimous 407-0 vote in the House of Representatives last week.

The resolution, which comes at
a time when North American organisations warn they have insufficient funds to care for survivors, was
lauded by members of the US-Jewish community.

But the absence of a single dissenting vote in the House underlines what little effect, in real terms, the resolution may have.

More..

Care for Holocaust survivors doubled

By Jessica Elgot, December 9, 2010

The German government is to double funding to help care for elderly Holocaust survivors - but there is no indication of how much the UK will benefit.

The Claims Conference has secured £93m, double last year's grant, for its Homecare scheme to support Holocaust survivors around the world.

Gordon Greenfield, director of the Association of Jewish Refugees, said: "We already receive substantial funding for elderly Holocaust survivors, but we don't know how exactly this increase will affect us or how much more we will get in 2011.

More..

Anger over university for thesis calling Holocaust education racist

By Jennifer Lipman, December 7, 2010

A Canadian university has defended a controversial decision to accept a master’s thesis that described Holocaust education as “racist”.

Jewish groups have reacted furiously to the revelation that the University of Toronto awarded a degree to a student for a work titled “The Victimhood of the Powerful: White Jews, Zionism and the Racism of Hegemonic Holocaust Education”.

The essay looked at two programmes which take young people to the Nazi sites of Poland; March of the Living for Jewish students, and the March of Remembrance and Hope, which educates non-Jewish participants.

More..

Museum stalls Quaker history

By Jonathan Kalmus, December 2, 2010

A man whose family was saved from the Holocaust by the Quaker movement has accused Yad Vashem of failing to record the historical rescue.

Peter Kurer, 79, from Manchester, was brought to England in 1938 from Vienna by Quakers in a mass rescue operation of Jews from Germany and Austria. Their father, Jacob, a dentist, came to Britain in 1936 seeking contacts to help his family and met Horatio and Mary Goodwin, a Quaker couple in Whalley Range, south Manchester.

More..

Payout for fake Holocaust memoir

By Jessica Elgot, November 30, 2010

The publishers of a fraudulent Holocaust memoir must pay its ghost writer $10m because she did not realise Misha Defonseca’s story was a fake.

US author Ms Defonseca published “Misha: A Memoir of the Holocaust Years” in 1997, telling a story of her survival from the Holocaust, roaming through Europe on foot, receiving food from a pack of wolves. It was a bestseller and the film rights were sold to Disney. Holocaust survivor and Nobel laureate Elie Wiesel wrote the foreword for the book.

More..

Dutch issue arrest warrant for Nazi living in Germany

By Jessica Elgot, November 25, 2010

The Netherlands has issued a fresh European arrest warrant for a Dutch-born convicted Nazi war criminal living in Germany.

Klass-Carel Faber, 88, served as an SS officer and is high on the Simon Wiesenthal Centre’s list of Nazi criminals. Germany has refused to extradite him and he lives in Bavaria.

The Dutch public prosecutor's office said the warrant was a “preliminary step” and then a formal extradition request will be made to Germany.

This is the first time the Netherlands has issued a European arrest warrant for a war criminal.

More..

Third most-wanted Nazi suspect dies before trial

By Jennifer Lipman, November 22, 2010

A man suspected of helping murder 430,000 Jews during the Holocaust has died before he could be brought to trial.

Dr Efraim Zuroff of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre described it as “incredibly frustrating” to lose the chance to try Samuel Kunz for his alleged role in the Nazi massacres at the Belzec death camp in Poland.

Mr Kunz, third on the Simon Wiesenthal Centre’s list of wanted Nazis, was indicted in Germany in July for this and also for allegedly shooting ten Jews in two separate incidents.

More..

Getting Britons on Holocaust march

By Jenni Frazer, November 18, 2010

Businessman Scott Saunders was living in Tokyo in 1992 when he went to an event that changed his life.

It was a memorial service at the local Jewish community centre for the wartime Japanese diplomat, Chiune Sugihara, who issued visas to help thousands of Jews escape the Holocaust.

Mr Saunders, who describes himself as "Anglo-Jewish to the core", began to read more about the Holocaust. By 1995 he was living in Hong Kong, where he chaired the synagogue.

More..

The penniless divorced businessman and the gold bars

By James Brewster, November 18, 2010

The mysterious disappearance of three solid gold bars is at the centre of a divorce battle in which a businessman claims he has been left all but penniless - while his ex-wife lives in a £2.5m mansion.

In a tale of family money which goes back to the Holocaust, Peter Brandon, 67, says the bars were for years simply "lying around" the 11-bedroom Buckinghamshire home he once shared with his ex-wife Christina - and that "anyone may have picked them up".

More..

On this day: the Warsaw Ghetto is sealed

By Jennifer Lipman, November 16, 2010

In 1939 when the Nazis invaded Poland Warsaw’s Jewish community, which at the time made up about 30 per cent of the city’s population, was the second largest in the world.

More..