The Holocaust

Teacher banned for Holocaust 'obsession' back at work

By Jennifer Lipman, January 11, 2011

A Jewish history teacher who was suspended by French education authorities for teaching too much about the Holocaust has returned to work.

In September 2010 Catherine Pederzoli was given a four-month suspension for lacking "distance, neutrality and secularism", principles seen by the French as vital safeguards of the separation of Church and state.

Ms Pederzoli, from Nancy in eastern France, faced the allegation that she was obsessed with the Nazi gas chambers.

More..

Quaker rescues recorded

By Jonathan Kalmus, January 6, 2011

Israeli Holocaust museum Yad Vashem and a British university are to give the first recognition to British Quakers who saved thousands of Jews from the Holocaust. The initative comes after an eight-year campaign by a 79-year-old Jewish refugee.

More..

Anti-Israel 'Shoah' site 'deliberately causes offence to survivors'

January 6, 2011

A UK-based anti-Israel website with the web address shoah.org.uk has been described as "sickening" and "abhorrent".

The website, called Shoah: The Palestinian Holocaust, refers to "Israhell" and uses terms such as "Zio=Nazi racists".

The site is registered to web designers Creative Spring, which gives its address as the Custard Factory, an arts and media centre in Birmingham.

Creative Spring bought the domain name from an American web hosting company.

More..

'Claims' criticism rejected

By Simon Rocker, December 29, 2010

The Board of Deputies has dismissed complaints about a critical report into the Claims Conference, the international body which distributes compensation to Holocaust survivors.

Julius Berman, the conference's chairman, said the Board had not given them a chance to comment on the report before publishing.

But Jon Benjamin, the Board's chief executive, said the main findings had been sent to the New York-based conference in summer, and a copy of the final document was given a week before publication earlier this month.

More..

EU halts move to downgrade Shoah

By Michel Zlotowski, December 29, 2010

The EU's rejection last week of the demand by foreign ministers from Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania and Romania to "treat Communist crimes according to the same standards" as those of Nazi regimes has been welcomed by Simon Wiesenthal Israel Director Efraim Zuroff.

Mr Zuroff said that this attempt to push the "so-called double genocide law… reeks of antisemitism".

More..

Director of Polish Holocaust memorial attacked

By Jennifer Lipman, December 23, 2010

The Polish government has been urged to clamp down on antisemitism in the wake of an attack on a non-Jewish man who works to preserve the memory of the Holocaust.

Abraham Foxman, national director of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL) called for a “swift response” after bricks with swastikas on them and firecrackers were thrown through the window of Tomasz Pietrasiewicz’s home in Lublin.

More..

Four million Jewish Holocaust victims identified

By Jennifer Lipman, December 22, 2010

Two-thirds of the Jewish victims of the Nazis have now been identified.

Since the Holocaust ended, there has been an ongoing effort to identify the six million Jews and millions more non-Jewish people slaughtered by the Nazis.

But 65 years on, there are still two million whose identities are not known.

Although the Nazis kept meticulous records during the Holocaust, many documents were destroyed during the war and whole families were wiped out.

Yad Vashem, Israel’s Holocaust museum is dedicated to finding the names of as many as possible.

More..

Call to speed up genocide trial of alleged Serbian Nazi

By Jennifer Lipman, December 21, 2010

The World Jewish Congress (WJC) has appealed to US authorities to help justice to be done by speeding up the extradition of a man accused of Nazi war crimes.

Peter Egner, allegedly a member of the Belgrade Gestapo during the Holocaust, will face charges of genocide if he is extradited to his former home of Serbia.

The 88-year-old, who is German but was born and raised in what was then Yugoslavia, is suspected of serving in an Einsatzgruppe, one of the mobile Nazi units, which was responsible for the deaths of 17,000 civilians, including Jews, Roma and political captives.

More..

Prince Harry meets Holocaust survivor in Germany

By Jennifer Lipman, December 20, 2010

Prince Harry has visited the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe in Berlin.

Only five years ago the then 21-year-old prince was forced to issue apologies after a furore when he dressed as a Nazi, complete with swastika armband, at a London fancy-dress party.

But this week, during a visit to Germany for a charity gala at which he was honoured for his humanitarian work, Prince Harry was able directly to pay his respects to victims of the Holocaust.

He spent time with a Holocaust survivor who works at the Berlin museum, and spent at least an hour viewing the exhibits.

More..

On this day: Eden condemns Nazi exterminations of Jews

By Jennifer Lipman, December 17, 2010

Embroiled in a war with the Axis powers since September 1939, in 1942 Britain’s Foreign Secretary made a statement in Parliament condemning "Hitler's oft repeated intention to exterminate the Jewish people in Europe".

For Anglo-Jewry it was a welcome statement at a time when reports of the extent of the Nazi genocide were beginning to emerge in the British media. Six months earlier in June 1942 the Daily Telegraph had written of the murder of 700,000 Polish Jews through methods including gas chambers.

More..