Nazism

Interview: Efraim Zuroff

By Simon Round, February 4, 2010

Efraim Zuroff is running out of time. Zuroff is a Nazi-hunter — in fact, since Simon Wiesenthal’s death in 2005, he has become the world’s most prominent hunter of Nazi war criminals. However, the number of those who perpetrated the Holocaust has been reduced by the passage of time. Those who remain alive are in their late 80s and 90s. Despite this, Zuroff has vowed to give them no respite.

More..

Review: Operation Last chance

By Ben Barkow, January 28, 2010

By Efraim Zuroff
Palgrave Macmillan, £16.99

This remarkably self-conscious book is about one man’s strivings to become the new Simon Wiesenthal. It is also a painful record of just how difficult it is to bring war criminals to justice. Again and again, Efraim Zuroff is forced to admit that the Nazis he went after got away with their crimes on account of the complexities of legal jurisdiction and the unwillingness of so many governments to act.

More..

Nazi suspect Demjanjuk's trial suspended

By Jessica Elgot, December 2, 2009

The trial of suspected Nazi John Demjanjuk has been delayed due to his failing health.

The 89-year-old Ukrainian is charged of being an accessory to the murder of 27,900 Jews at the Sobibor death camp.

Presiding Judge Ralph Alt said in a court statement that Demjanjuk had a high fever which had continued to rise despite medication, and that the trial would be delayed until December 21.

Doctors who examined him, two hours before the court hearing in Munich was about to continue, said he had an unidentified infection and a fever.

More..

Demjanjuk: Trial for 'Nazi' murders begins

By Jessica Elgot, November 30, 2009

The accused Nazi war criminal John Demjanjuk has begun his trial in Munich.

The 89-year-old Ukrainian, charged of being an accessory to the murder of 27,900 Jews at the Sobibor camp, arrived at court in a wheelchair, accompanied by two guards and two doctors.

The start of the trial was delayed for 70 minutes after hundreds of people descended upon the Munich courtroom, attempting to gain entry to witness the trial.

More..

Demjanjuk: Judgment day for the 'last Nazi'

By Toby Axelrod, November 26, 2009

When John Demjanjuk enters Munich District Court II on November 30, it will be the second time he has stood trial for crimes against humanity, allegedly committed during the Second World War.

Sixteen years ago, Israeli courts released Demjanjuk from a death sentence after evidence showed he probably was not the notorious Treblinka guard “Ivan the Terrible”.

This time, the Ukrainian-born 89-year-old is charged with involvement in the murder of 27,900 Jews in the notorious Sobibor death camp in 1943, as an SS guard trained in the Trawniki camps.

More..

Jewish athlete's record restored by Germany

By Jessica Elgot, November 24, 2009

A 95 year-old Jewish woman stripped of her high jump record by Nazi Germany has had her record restored by the German track and field association.

Gretel Bergmann, who is now Margaret Bergmann Lambert, emigrated to New York in 1937 after she was 'replaced' at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by the Nazi government because she was Jewish.

Mrs Lambert had already left Germany for the UK in 1934 after she was banned from her athletics club for being Jewish.

She had previously recorded a world record high jump of 5 feet and 3 inches, having been on the German team for two years.

More..

'Nazi' extradition is a first for Australia

By Dan Goldberg, November 19, 2009

Justice or vengeance? The question was at the heart of a national debate last week after Australia’s Minister for Home Affairs, Brendan O’Connor, agreed to surrender to Hungary an 88-year-old man accused of helping murder an 18-year-old Jew in Budapest in 1944.

Charles (Karoly) Zentai, who arrived in Australia in 1950, was discovered living in Perth in 2005 after the Simon Wiesenthal Centre mounted a last-gasp campaign to flush out alleged Nazis in the twilight of their lives.

More..

Martial arts group denies Nazi clothing

By Marcus Dysch, November 19, 2009

A leading mixed-martial arts group has distanced itself from a clothing company which features Nazi-style images on its products.

The Ultimate Fighting Championship held a tournament in Manchester on Saturday night at which a number of fighters wore Hoelzer Reich items.

The sport is growing quickly on both sides of the Atlantic as an alternative attraction for boxing and wrestling fans. British fighters Michael Bisping and Dan Hardy were among those on the bill at the MEN Arena.

Hoelzer Reich’s clothes feature Iron Crosses and swastika and SS-style emblems.

More..

Former 'Nazi' charged with killing 58 in Austria

By Jessica Elgot, November 17, 2009

A German court has charged a 90-year-old man with 58 counts of murder for killing Jewish forced laborers in Austria.

The former SS guard has been charged with killing the Jewish labourers in Deutsch-Schetzen, in eastern Austria.
The murders were allegedly committed on March 30, 1945, just over month before the German surrender.

The suspect has not been identified by the Duisberg state court, but he is said to be a resident of the town.
The court will now decide within two weeks whether the case should be brought to trial.

More..

New legal right for victims of Nazi looters

By Jessica Elgot, November 13, 2009

A new bill, which will allow art looted by the Nazis and found in British museums to be returned to its original owners, has passed into law today.

Labour’s Andrew Dismore, MP for Hendon, first sponsored the Holocaust (Stolen Art) Restitution Act, which has now been given Royal Assent.

He said: “It shows what could be achieved by a determined backbencher: by rolling out my sleeping bag and sleeping on the floor of the Public Bill Office overnight, I was able to become the first in the queue to apply for Second Readings after the balloted Bills, and this tactic paid off.

More..