Nazism

Third Nazi suspect could face war crimes charges

By Jennifer Lipman, August 9, 2010

A suspected former Nazi guard who acted as a witness in the trial of John Demjanjuk may be prosecuted for war crimes.

According to Spiegel news magazine German prosecutors are considering charging “Alex N” for involvement in killing Jewish prisoners at Treblinka concentration camp during the Holocaust.

The 93-year-old was born in the Ukraine but gained German citizenship in 1991.

Researchers investigating the case said other camp guards called having heard Alex N boast about shooting Jews.

More..

Adolf Hitler's parents lose custody appeal

By Jennifer Lipman, August 6, 2010

The parents of children named after Adolf Hitler and other Nazi figures have lost a custody battle.

Adolf Hitler Campbell, four, and his three-year-old sister JoyceLynn Aryan Nation, will not be returned to the care of their parents after an appeal was denied.

Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie, 2, will also remain in foster care. The three children were removed from their family home in January 2009.

Their unusual names had drawn media attention when Wal-Mart refused to personalise Adolf’s birthday cake.

More..

TalkSPORT Shimon Peres slip up

By Marcus Dysch, August 5, 2010

Listeners to a late-night radio phone-in got a shock when a man introduced as a Zionist Federation spokesman announced he could not discuss Shimon Peres's comments on British antisemitism because he was eating a toasted sandwich.

The imposter, pretending to be former ZF public affairs director Gavin Gross, failed to answer any questions about Mr Peres's remarks, saying he was too busy eating.

TalkSPORT presenter Adrian Goldberg, not realising he had been hoaxed, said the man's comments were "absolutely, utterly disgraceful" during Sunday's show.

More..

Suspected Nazi indicted for Belzec murders

By Jennifer Lipman, July 28, 2010

A man named as the third most-wanted Nazi suspect has been charged with participating in the murder of 430,000 Jews during the Holocaust.

Samuel Kunz, 90, who is believed to have spent 18 months as a guard at the Belzec death camp in Poland, has been indicted in Germany.

He is also suspected of murder over "personal excesses" for allegedly shooting ten Jews in two separate incidents.

Mr Kunz, number three on the Simon Wiesenthal Centre’s list of wanted Nazis, has not faced trial before.

More..

Facebook page promoted 'Auschwitz spa'

By Jennifer Lipman, July 28, 2010

A Facebook page advertising the “Auschwitz Spa” as a “slimming” place has been removed following complaints by the Los Angeles-based Simon Wiesenthal Centre.

The page, created by French-speaking users of the social networking site, encouraged people to “come visit our new spa centre at Auschwitz”, the death camp where the Nazis murdered more than 1.3 million people.

The creators had even added a heart icon at the end of the title.

More..

Jews in fight against weekend Nazis

By Jonathan Kalmus, July 22, 2010

The Jewish community has been encouraged to come up with solutions to stop Nazi impersonators from infiltrating Second World War re-enactment events across the UK.

The general manager of the East Lancashire Railway, Andy Coward, said this week that he welcomed ideas on how to stop the imitators.

The heritage railway came under pressure from Manchester's Jewish community to ban dozens of actors who were spotted wearing Nazi insignia at its May event. It sparked angry complaints from local Jewish politicians.

More..

Outcry over Polish 'NaziSexyMouse' poster

By Jennifer Lipman, July 14, 2010

A poster featuring a swastika, Disney’s Mickey Mouse and a naked woman installed just yards from a synagogue has caused outrage in a city in western Poland.

The image advertising an upcoming art exhibition has already been vandalised twice, while a member of the Poznan city council has called for it to be banned for breaching Poland’s strict regulations on glorifying Nazism.

The "NaziSexyMouse” image is part of a project by an Italian artist and a version has been on display in a Berlin gallery.

More..

Nazi jibe presenter Jon Gaunt loses court case

By Jennifer Lipman, July 13, 2010

The former TalkSport presenter, Jon Gaunt, has lost his legal battle with Ofcom over calling a councillor a Nazi on air.

The High Court found that the watchdog was justified in upholding complaints against the radio show host and that this "did not constitute a material interference to his freedom of expression".

Mr Gaunt was fired from TalkSport in 2008 after the media regulator found that he had breached the Ofcom code for addressing Michael Stark, a Redbridge councillor, as a "health Nazi" and an "ignorant pig".

More..

Survivor disco dances at Auschwitz

By Jennifer Lipman, July 13, 2010

A video featuring a Holocaust survivor dancing at Auschwitz to the pop song "I Will Survive" has received a mixed reaction across the internet, with many slamming it as “disgusting” and “tasteless”.

Jane Korman, a Jewish Australian artist, filmed her 89-year-old father Adolk and other family members performing a routine to the disco hit at different points around the Nazi concentration camp.

More..

Artist torches barn in Holocaust memorial

By Jennifer Lipman, July 12, 2010

A Polish artist has fired up debate after he burned down a barn to commemorate a Holocaust massacre and campaign against antisemitism.

Members of Poland’s Jewish community criticised the project but performance artist Rafal Betlejewski said he had been trying to remind the public of the 1941 Jedwabne massacre in which hundreds of Jews were burnt alive by Polish Nazi sympathisers.

More..