IDF

Analysis: No end in sight for IDF Gaza probes

By Anshel Pfeffer, July 8, 2010

Eighteen months after Operation Cast Lead in Gaza and there still is no end in sight to the investigations and court proceedings.

More..

Dancing soldiers escape trouble

By Jennifer Lipman, July 6, 2010

A group of Israeli soldiers will not face disciplinary action after footage of them dancing in uniform to a pop song appeared online.

Six soldiers from the Nahal brigade uploaded a video of them in Hebron performing a routine to the Ke$ha song Tick Tock.

In the “Batallion 50 Rock the Hebron Casbah” video the armed soldiers are patrolling to the sound of the Muslim prayer call, before breaking into the dance sequence when the pop song starts.

More..

Soldier to be charged for Gaza death

By Jennifer Lipman, July 6, 2010

The Israeli military has said it is charging a soldier with manslaughter for an incident during Operation Cast Lead.

His will be the third case of a soldier going on trial for offences during the January 2009 incursion into the Gaza Strip.

The soldier, named only as First Sergeant S, is from the Givati regiment.

Investigators said he broke Israel’s rules of engagement in firing at two Palestinian women, killing both. The troops been ordered only to fire warning shots at combatants in the crowd.

More..

Noam Shalit: government giving up on Gilad

By Jennifer Lipman, June 23, 2010

The Israeli government has been accused of abandoning its fight to bring back kidnapped soldier Gilad Shalit following the decision to ease the land blockade of Gaza.

The then teenager was captured during a border raid by Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip in June 2006, and four years later the campaign to bring him home is still strong.

But speaking in the Knesset, Gilad's father Noam said the government needed to do more to ensure his return.
Mr Shalit said: "We are asking where Gilad stands in this equation. We are asking where is Gilad, our son?".

More..

Soldier faces charges over Cast Lead

By Anshel Pfeffer, June 17, 2010

The IDF's Military Advocate General, Major General Avichai Mendelblit, will hold a hearing next week for a soldier suspected of double manslaughter in last year's Operation Cast Lead in Gaza.

The solider allegedly shot and killed two Palestinian women who were in a group of civilians holding white flags. This is the third and most serious case in which charges are being brought against soldiers involved in the operation.

More..

Royal honour for Israeli WW2 veterans

By Jennifer Lipman, June 16, 2010

Israeli war veterans who were injured fighting for Britain during the Second World War are to be royally honoured.

The 32 disabled soldiers will receive British Ministry of Defence medals on behalf of the Queen at a ceremony in Tel Aviv. The newly knighted Sir Tom Phillips, the outgoing British ambassador, will make the awards.

Some of the soldiers, who served in the Jewish Brigade, went on to fight for Israel during the war of independence in 1948.

More..

Soldier likely to be charged for Cast Lead deaths

By Jennifer Lipman, June 16, 2010

An Israeli soldier is expected to be charged with manslaughter for the deaths of two people in Gaza during Operation Cast Lead.

If the case goes ahead this will be the third time a soldier has gone on trial for offences during the January 2009 incursion.

IDF investigators have said they suspeect that the soldier, from the Givati regiment, broke Israel’s rules of engagement in firing at two Palestinian women.

A 35-year-old woman and her mother were killed as a result of the shooting, which was mentioned in the UN’s Goldstone report.

More..

Hundreds demonstrate for Israel in London

By Jessica Elgot, June 3, 2010

More than 700 pro-Israel supporters were outside the Israeli embassy on Wednesday night, waving flags, singing and denouncing Israel’s treatment by politicians and by the media.

One supporter who broke through the police barriers was taken away by police. He is thought to have been carrying a paint bomb, but police did not confirm why he had been arrested.

More..

More deaths in aftermath of IDF raid

June 1, 2010

Two terrorists were shot dead attempting to infiltrate the Gaza border this morning.

The attempt followed Monday's IDF raid of the "Free Gaza" flotilla in which nine passengers were killed.

Four settlements near the border fence have been closed and families living nearby have been asked to stay in their homes. It is believed schools have been closed.

As international outrage mounted, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu cut short his visit to North America and canceled a meeting with President Barack Obama to return to Israel.

More..

Gaza analysis: These were not 'peace protesters'

By Stephen Pollard, May 31, 2010

It’s depressing, but not in the least bit surprising, that the ‘condemn first, ask questions later (if at all)’ attitude towards Israel is as universal as ever.

To judge from the media coverage of what happened last night, you’d think that the IDF had attacked a defenceless group of peace activists almost for the sake of it, shooting indiscriminately and behaving like barbarians.

More..