Crime

Man charged over racist emails

May 2, 2008

A 52-year-old man has been charged with a communications offence in connection with a spate of allegedly racist and antisemitic emails sent to politicians and journalists, including the JC, which received 54 separate communications.

Maher Khammash was due to appear before Uxbridge magistrates yesterday (1st May) morning.

More..

Cocaine case man for trial

May 2, 2008

A charedi man will face trial for supplying cocaine, after he was committed to the crown court on Monday by Haringey magistrates. Nuchum Twersky, 30, from Stamford Hill, North London, is due to appear at Wood Green Crown Court in June. He was charged last month.

More..

Spate of thefts from Czech site

April 25, 2008

More than 1,000 bronze plates have been stolen from graves at the former Nazi camp of Theresienstadt. Officials at the site in the Czech Republic warned of insufficient funds for security. Replacement plaques will be made from resin to deter thieves.

More..

Wanted man loses appeal

April 25, 2008

An alleged Nazi war criminal has lost his extradition appeal in the High Court of Australia, which ruled six-to-one against the appeal by Charles Zentai, 85. He is wanted in his native Hungary on charges that he murdered an 18-year-old Jewish boy in Budapest in 1944.

More..

Helping police

April 25, 2008

Metropolitan Police inspector Mat Shaer is the new chair of the Jewish Police Association.

Inspector Shaer wants to raise the profile of the association within the force and the wider community and make potential members feel “they have something to gain from belonging, whether from support, networking or socialising”. He is particularly keen to attract officers and civilian staff from other forces.

He transferred to the Met in 2003 after 10 years in Thames Valley force.

More..

Israeli, 81, on drug charges

April 18, 2008

Three Israelis, one in his 80s, have been remanded in custody charged with importing cannabis into Britain. Moshe Kedar, 81, Mordechai Hersh, 66 and Yehezkel Srebro, 56, appeared at Southampton Magistrates’ Court on Friday. They were charged with another six defendants after arrests in connection with drug trafficking. All nine were remanded to appear at the same court on May 8.

More..

Man held over Tube 'frauds'

By Leon Symons, April 18, 2008

Police investigating a series of frauds on the London Underground said this week that they had arrested a man.

A 58-year-old from Hackney has been charged with three sample counts of fraud by false representation at Finsbury Park Tube station in November 2007 and at King’s Cross Tube station in March and April 2008.

Israel Aharonovitz, of Seven Sisters Road, Hackney, is due to appear at City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court in Horseferry Road today.

More..

Academic resigns in art restoration row

By Rachel Fletcher, April 18, 2008

A professor embroiled in a row over finders’ fees for locating Nazi-looted art has resigned from a prominent post at his Holocaust-studies centre in California. Professor Jonathan Petropoulos has denied that his resignation had anything to do with the row, but sources in the art world are convinced that it led to his standing down.

Prof Petropoulos has resigned as director of Claremont McKenna College’s Centre for the Study of the Holocaust, Genocide and Human Rights, just outside Los Angeles, though he remains a history professor at the college.

More..

Germany seeks to bring wartime killer to justice

By Leon Symons, April 18, 2008

A dogged German prosecutor has charged an 86-year-old man with three wartime murders of which he was originally convicted almost 60 years ago.

Dortmund prosecutor Ulrich Maass told a news agency that he has charged Heinrich Boere with the murders in 1944 of three Dutch civilians when Boere was a member of a death squad code-named Silbertanne (Silver Pine).

Boere was convicted of the same murders in 1949 in the Netherlands. A death sentence was later commuted to life imprisonment but he has managed to stay out of prison ever since.

More..

Parents face a further legal battle over son’s ‘avoidable’ murder

By Leon Symons, April 18, 2008

A couple who have fought for five years for justice for their murdered son will have to face the full might of the government at a House of Lords appeal next month.

Irwin and Corinne Van Colle have already won two judgments against Hertfordshire Police in the High Court and the Court of Appeal. On both occasions, judges decided that the police force had failed to protect their son Giles, who was murdered by one of his former employees in November, 2000.

More..