Life gets too hot on the bimah

September 3, 2013
Follow The JC on Twitter

Rabbi Alex Chapper of Ilford Federation Synagogue was leaning on the side of the bimah during Shabbat when suddenly, he said, “I noticed a smell of burning”.

By the time he had grasped what was happening, several holes had been burned through his tallit (right).
“There are candle bulbs around the bimah, I had been leaning against one of them,” he explained.

His congregants have kindly bought him a new tallit, though without an anti-inflammatory coating. “I’ll just have to be more careful where I stand in future,” he said.

    Last updated: 9:34am, September 3 2013