Soldier likely to be charged for Cast Lead deaths

The incident was mentioned in the Goldstone report

The incident was mentioned in the Goldstone report

An Israeli soldier is expected to be charged with manslaughter for the deaths of two people in Gaza during Operation Cast Lead.

If the case goes ahead this will be the third time a soldier has gone on trial for offences during the January 2009 incursion.

IDF investigators have said they suspeect that the soldier, from the Givati regiment, broke Israel’s rules of engagement in firing at two Palestinian women.

A 35-year-old woman and her mother were killed as a result of the shooting, which was mentioned in the UN’s Goldstone report.

The soldier, named only as First Sergeant S., originally claimed he fired because he believed troops were at risk, but onlookers have said the women were among a group of civilians waving white flags.

The troops had been ordered to fire warning shots as it was believed combatants were among the crowd, but they were not told to shoot at the group.

The soldier was removed from the brigade after the incident.

Last updated: 10:20am, June 23 2010