Mahmoud Abbas condems Gaza rocket fire on Israel

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas at the World Economic Forum summit in Davos (Photo: WEF)

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas at the World Economic Forum summit in Davos (Photo: WEF)

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has condemned the firing of a rocket into southern Israel from the Gaza Strip this morning.

Israel said it would hold Mr Abbas responsible for future rocket attacks coming from Gaza after the swearing in of a new Fatah-Hamas unity government earlier this month.

According to a Palestinian news agency, Mr Abbas called on all Palestinian factions to abide by the ceasefire agreement with Israel which has been in effect since Operation Pillar of Defence in December 2012.

Mr Abbas said: "Do not give Israel any pretext to continue its attacks on Gaza."

The rocket fired from the Gaza Strip fell into an open area in the Eshkol region of southern Israel near a major road in the area. No injuries were reported in the attack.

It was the second attack this week. Two days ago, a rocket from Gaza was launched at the southern city of Ashkelon but landed in Palestinian territory causing no damage or injury.

Last updated: 2:17pm, June 11 2014